Normal Wound Or Fungus? Help

1. a

anitazoechang Initiate Member

My female guppy is pregnant and due any day but while doing the normal hiding and hovering, she's scraped her scales and ripped her right pectoral on the driftwood in the tank. The wound has what looks like slightly stringy white bits coming off of it. Is this normal? Is it just skin that's been scraped off? How can I help her heal more quickly? She seems to be struggling to swim a bit, with her head higher than her tail in almost a diagonal

My 54L tank has been up and running for about 3 months now (kick started with API's Quick Start and slowly added fish in) with two adult females, 5x 2 month olds, and 4x 1 month olds. Only had one death of an adult female from internal parasites but the tank has been treated and I haven't seen any symptoms since then. They get a 50% water change on a weekly basis and heater is set at 26ºC. She's currently in an empty 8L fry raising tank (just moved the fry out but it is cycled) with the heater set at 28ºC.

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and Welcome to Fishlore :)

Looks like a wound at this point. Keep the water pristine and it should heal on its own. But if it does not improve progressively from this point you will need to medicate this little one.

3. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks, Thunder_o_b! :emoji_tropical_fish::emoji_fish:

Hopefully after she gives birth it'll take the strain off too

4. Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

I do not see anything. I see a fish that looks like it's head is missing, LOL. I think I need new glasses or better yet, to get some glasses.

5. OP
    OP
    a

Haha hope not, Zoomo! Then the wound would be the least of my problems

6. OP
    OP
    a

Update: she seems to have taken a turn for the worse. She's lying on her good side at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. When I stimulate her though, she swims around normally. Can she recover?

7. OP
    OP
    a

Another update: sadly she died today :( will do a coffin birth update in another thread