Normal For Bn Pleco? Question

1. Miyyaro Member Member

My lovely L144 pleco seems to be a little more still than usual. I've had him for about a month. He was very active when I brought him home and now I'm assuming he has settled but I just want to make sure that it's normal for him to be chill. How active are your BN plecos?

Thanks! :emoji_octopus: benny.jpg

2. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

very nice looking pleco...i dont have an albino ..but i have a regular BN and a Rubberlip and they are both very active...try dropping a piece of cucumber or zucchini in there and see how he/she does when the lights are off...mine go for the veggies no matter what time of day...Hope everything is well with your boy/girl!!

3. Miyyaro Member Member

I don't think he/she likes cucumber! This is the second time I've put a piece in and he/she doesn't acknowledge it. It was Daphnea night though so I directed some at him and he wiggled a bit and ate but that's it. As soon as I turned off the lights he moved a bit, so it may just be the fact that its day time. Just odd because it didn't matter before :/

4. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

could just be being lazy...honestly mine prefer zucchini...i buy a bag of frozen zucchini at the market and take a few pieces out and hold it in my hand and run sink water over it for a minute or so till its softer and drop it in..it always sinks as i think its already prepared when u buy it frozen...try it out...your other fish will like it too..

5. Miyyaro Member Member

So he is moving about, just seems to not move much with the lights on. He's lost his brilliant yellow color though. He's quite pale :( I did catch one of my Odessa barbs picking on him slightly. Maybe hes being bullied!

6. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

keep the lights off for a little longer the next couple days or move him to another tank temporarily if possibe

7. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Mine loves red pepper

Do you have a cave where the pleco can take refuge from the barbs? He looks as though he's still quite small, so a flat rock would work as a hidey hole....placed so that he has a 1/2inch cave

8. Miyyaro Member Member

I'll have to try a few things :)

And yep, hes got tons if little hidey hole places he can hide if need be. Thats where hes been. I was considering rehoming the barbs, if his behavior doesnt change I may look into getting a slightly more peaceful school. I do love the barbs though...... But they are a bit bullyish

9. Miyyaro Member Member

I ended up moving him into my small tank for the time being, he's so small right now. His color seems to be coming back and he's out and about :) I bought a larger super red for the large tank. I'm hoping he's big enough that the barbs will leave him alone! Thanks for your advice everyone!

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

They are omnivores and in a certain stage of their life they need more protein (to grow). Try some shrimpellets and frozen if possible. My lemon (often sold as L144) called @aliray with a normal collored.
    I mostly see them at feedingtime and strangely the two normal colored show up after I added a powerhead. Thought one died two years ago woohahahaha 8fe2846b2f5429d2bdf54cbbd71db652.jpg

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

They are omnivores and in a certain stage of their life they need more protein (to grow). Try some shrimpellets and frozen if possible. My lemon (often sold as L144) called @aliray with a normal collored.
    I mostly see them at feedingtime and strangely the two normal colored show up after I added a powerhead. Thought one died two years ago woohahahaha 8fe2846b2f5429d2bdf54cbbd71db652.jpg

12. Miyyaro Member Member

My fish get a variety of foods, brine shrimp, blood worms, high quality pellet, algea wafer, Daphnea etc :D I'm a little obsessed when it comes to feeding haha. Your Lemon is lovely!!

13. Miyyaro Member Member

Yeah, nothing good here. He's about to die and I don't know what to do! He's extremely pale and emaciated. The newest thing, which happened about a half hour ago is he can no longer keep himself upright. I've given him all sorts of foods and I had moved him into my smaller less busy tank but obviously there was no improvement. He's in my breeder box off my main tank at the moment. Any idea what this may be and if there's any hope? Maybe I should crosspost this somewhere (how do you do that) ?