Normal fin growth or beginning of fin rot?

• Thread starter AndrewJ54
  • Start date

AndrewJ54

So today before leaving for work I was just checking on everybody in my tank when I noticed what looked like two rips in the top fin of my angelfish. I've seen and treated fin rot before and this doesn't look similar it just looks like a little rip by I've learned it's better to be to cautious as opposed to not cautious enough. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the deal is! 0ammonia 0 nitrite 10-20 Nitrates, temp 80-82,ph is about 8.0-8.2. Anything else you guys need just let me know!!

Whitewolf

Well Known
So there is little blood supply to a fish's fins and they can get damaged easily, and lead to minor bacterial infections.
At this point I wouldnt worry about it too much. Better to just keep the water clean then add some medicine.
Here is a useful site to find medicated fish food, they have antibiotics, metro, and de-wormers (tho those don't work well by itself)

If it were me, I would get the smaller pouches (actually they are big and last a long time) of Antibiotic 2 and the anti-protozoa feed. Metronidazole food can rid a angelfish or any type of chiclid of HOTH internal parasites.

AndrewJ54

Thank you for the insight! I will most definitely keep the water clean only challenge is lowering nitrates at this point. I will monitor closely before purchasing the food but if need be I will definitely be ready to get some if I need too. Like I said it's not fuzzy or stringy or looks like the fin is degrading any further at this point, it does look just like a little tear at this point he is still eating and swimming so I know he's still healthy! I just wanted a second opinion so thank you so much!

Bettatude

Well Known
Beautiful angelfish!

AndrewJ54

Thank you!

Top Bottom