Normal "fancie"

1. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

ok, potentially dumb question with a legitimate reason behind it. People say that common/comet goldies can't be kept in the average aquarium because of stunting. (Which is true, I have a stunted boy in a 60 and I love him to bits) Fancies can be kept though because they don't get *nearly* as big.
    Here's my issue. I don't like the look of fancies. They are cute to an extent but I love the sleek look of the common/comets.

So is there any breed of goldfish that have the shape of the commons/comets but the size of the fancies?

I'm not buying, I already have a goldy. :D but I'm just curious.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The least deformed fancy goldfish you can get is a common veiltail. They are still living eggs tho.

3. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Just googled them and some of them don't look too bad at all. (Compared to other fancies.)

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I mixed up variants. I was talking about the fantail. That is the less deformed goldfish. I dont like the huge fins of veiltails. Some of them look like ryukins (horrible backs) and some of them are more westernized and dont have hunch backs.

5. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Ah. There we go. :) yeah looks a little squashed but not nearly as bad as some of the fancies I've seen. Don't know the names of them because I didn't like them though.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I honestly wouldnt mind keeping some black moors. When I first started in the hobby that is what I wanted to keep. At that time 40 gal tanks were huge to me so I had to start small. As I matured I realized that it was kind of morbid, specially when compared with commons. I still like the fish (cant change my tacky taste) and now that I discovered plastic tubs I wouldnt mind keeping some at my yard, but since I consider it to be cruel I wont keep em. I like them but I hate them at the same time lol.
    On an even more morbid note, I think part of why I find black moors amusing is that they are very sluggish and easy to catch and move with your hands. lol

7. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

*snort* I guarantee that's not the worst thing ever. Now that I have Jupe, goldfish have grown on me because they have so much personality. He's the only one excited to see me when I get home from work. My cat just kinda sticks his head around the corner to acknowledge me and my other one couldent care less.

But at the same time it's breeding deformities and I don't want to make the same mistake of a stunned goldfish (Jupe but that's a whole other story)

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yep. I wish I had a huge pond to keep commons. Maybe one day, maybe one.
    Get a dog, my Beagles leave me deaf when they hear the car lol.

9. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Ha! My parents have a Pomeranian. Same thing. They find it so weird that he has such a bond with me even when I don't live there.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Instead of goldfish I'd just go with other species of coldwater fish, like rainbow shiners or southern redbelly dace.
    Something that looks fairly similar to goldfish and should be available is the European bitterling European bitterling - Wikipedia. They only get 4 inches.