Normal colouration for an Oranda

AlmostDragon

I have a young Oranda is thriving however I was curious about his (I don't actually know if he's a male) colouration as I have never come across any other goldfish who is a similar colour. I was wondering if his colouration is unusual or if it is a trait that people don't breed for due to health problems? He is bronze in colouration, much more of a brown than a yellow or orange. Is this normal? I only have a picture when I first got him during quarantine when he was still relatively small.
Thank you.
He does appear lighter in the photo.

image.jpg

GoldenKillifish

I'm not an expert but I'm fairly certain the coloration sounds normal considering koi and goldfish are closely related and I have seen feeder fish (been told these are baby koi or common goldfish) that are brown,bronze, gold, and every color people usually see in goldfish.
So as long as your fish is healthy I don't think you have cause for concern.

Shahbazin

He looks like a nice fish! I've seen some even darker bronze/brown ones that were called "chocolate", so maybe he's headed in that direction? Goldfish often change color, especially in their first couple of years.

AlmostDragon

Thank you, he is doing very well, I was probably being a bit paranoid but I'd rather know if it's normal. Both my LFS and chain stores have a limited supply of goldfish (probably for the best) and I just wanted to be aware if there may be problems down the road but hopefully he should turn out lovely. Thank you for the information it is greatly appreciated.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
65 Gallon Tank Black Oranda Goldfish
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
MayuriKrab