Normal build-up or dangerous algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by codyrex97, Jun 30, 2016.

1. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I assume this is simply buildup and maybe some sort of algae or bacterial growth that I should clean but just wanted to make sure it's nothing bad.
    [​IMG]

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Something like that happened on my betta's filter, although not as thick as yours seems to be. The nerite ate it off though. ;)

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Looks like algae to me, and while ugly should be harmless. When it happens to my filter, I just wipe it off with a paper towel.

4. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

This makes me want to start another green long hair algae culture and put it in my tank.

5. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Is this detritus? Whats the difference between detritus and algae? I would clean it during a weekly change so it doesnt randomly flow into the tank and cause algae unless you want it to. =]

6. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I just cleaned it during my Friday water change. As long as it's not a detriment to my tank inhabitants (plant and animal alike) I don't mind having it in my tank, as I'm a fan of the natural look and algae definitely has its own natural appeal. I will clean it off the filter though just because it looks really gross up there haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice