Question Normal Bristlenose Behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brlandwehr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK, so I have a (currently) tiny new albino bristlenose (~1.5"), looks much like my avatar pic, had her about a week.

Due to the way I have to have things set up in the room, I have one (short) side of the tank exposed to occasional light from outside - not direct or hot but enough to begin encouraging algae growth on the glass and on plants on that side.

The first day I had him home, she gorged out on everything she could find and spent most of the time on that side of the tank.

Since then, she's spent all her time stuck to opposite (dark and presumably low-food) end of the tank. To make matters weirder, she seems to have chosen attaching directly to the tank heater as her favorite spot. The algae on the sidewalls is showing a bit more again and she shows no interest in leaving her little corner, though she bounces around from spot to spot over there.

Should I be worried about her not getting enough food? Should I use a scraper on the sun side, and if so, let the algae float rather than vac'ing in out in the hope it'll wind up getting eaten? Given the relatively low temp (~76 F) should I be concerned about her attaching to the heater - and if so, how to prevent?

Advice from experienced Bristlenose owners appreciated.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm, I wouldn't be too worried. The b/n will find food when it wants it. Do you have driftwood in the tank? Bristlenose love driftwood (and Zucchini )

I would think the behaviour is more related to the sun coming in than the food source.

B/nose will not eat all types of algae, and like all fish, need a varied diet.

The sun is probably heating the tank, and your b/n is trying to escape the heat and or the light. Maybe it's getting sunburnt, especially being albino just throwing it out there as an idea.

My bn's occassionally hang around the heater, or seek 'cover' in amongst their wood and the caves.

My recommendation would be to stop the sunlight entering the tank, and see if that helps. Do your other fish avoid the sunny areas?

Also, b/n are largely nocturnal, so whilst it doesn't seem like it's eating, it may be eating at night. Mine are very active at night (albeit under moon-lighting).

Hope that helps.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My BN is very shy and prefers to come out when the tank lights are off. I rarely see her during the day and for the life of me can't figure out why she won't eat the ample Algae growth on the front of the tank! I usually see her eating off the back of the tank and on my driftwood.

So anyway I wouldn't be too concerned either.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Deff need a piece of driftwood, they rasp on it and helps their digestive system and they need fresh veggies like blanched cucumber and zuccinni. Don't depend on just the algae. Supplement her diet too with algae wafers.

I have an Albino also, they sure are a neat looking fish and pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom