Normal Betta Behavior??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by kk07723, Apr 14, 2017.

1. kk07723

kk07723 New Member Member

so guys I am new to this! I'm not sure if this is where this goes so if I need to take this somewhere else, please let me know!
    I bought my betta 5 days ago and at first had him in an unfiltered, unheated 1 gallon tank. (Bad, I know, but I was waiting to cycle his 5 gal.) last night i had gotten it to where his 5 gal was ready to go, so after letting him float I let him into his new tank in hopes that would change his mind. He has not eaten or pooped since I got him. Another thing I've noticed is he is always swimming the glass, he's never really in the middle of the tank. I've tested for ammonia/nitrates, his tank is at 78 degrees, filtered, he has a few silk plants and a Little Rock to hide behind, not many hiding spaces or things to explore but I'm working on it. Could it just be the stress of environment change or could something be really wrong? When I drop his food in, it's like he smells it and goes toward it but before he gets to it, he just swims away and ignores it. :( I don't know if there's any bloating or anything on the outside that looks bad, I thought he might have some fin rot but I really can't tell as I am new to this. Any help would be appreciated! :p

Attached Files:

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Fish can go a long time without eating. The swim pattern is normal (If anything can be considered normal in Betta world). His fins look okay. If something is starting to go on with them, usually just water changes and good water parameters will take care of it. If he doesn't eat tomorrow, I would try a different type of food. Go ahead and get frozen blood worms. I would get the sheet kind where you can crack off a little bit vs the cubes. You are only going to give him one or two. All of mine get pellets as a staple and blood worms on Tuesday and Frozen brine shrimp on Saturday. They do need the protien. (They fast on Wednesdays)

3. a

aditya2105 Valued Member Member

He won't eat for the day as u have just introduced him...He is adjusting to the new environment..But even if day after and tmw it's the same behavior.. There some issue.. Try changing the food..And definitely make some hiding places

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome :)

How did you cycle your 5g? Can you list your parameters for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? It takes more than 5 days to cycle a tank so I'm wondering if water quality is affecting him.

5. m

mcnasty1 New Member Member

I'm not an expert but the swimming by the glass could be him trying to fight his reflection. My betta, my dwarf gourami and my piranha all do it at times. Remember to keep a tightly fitted lid to keep warm humid air over the tank especially if it's young or it's labyrinth organ won't develop properly. Take care not to overfeed. And try to give it a varied diet.

6. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome to the Fishlore
    I am sure he is okay. Most of the Betta poorly live in little cups in fish stores and it takes time for them to get used to the environment. I have kept betta and When at first they are introduced, They are very sensitive to Glass or anything like a mirror that slightly reflects another Male Betta. Not eating is normal. I do not see any fin rot and I have to hand it to you, he is beautiful.

Do you have any lighting?
    You should have turned them off before you introduce him (It is my Idea and that is what I do so it will calm the fish)
    and maybe can we know more about  / 
    and the way you cycled?

7. OP
    OP
    kk07723

Thank you! I introduced him without light to his 5 gal last night, I turned it on today and he didn't seem to mind it actually! He glares at his reflection, but that's even with the normal room light on. As for cycling I had set up the tank, I did a 10% water change every 3 days and tested once a week. I cycled with 3 guppies and then removed them into another tank, finishing the cycling by adding fish flakes every other day and using test strips every other day until my levels were zeroed. Currently the levels are : ammonia- 0 nitrites - 0 and nitrates 20. The ph has been a stable 7.6. I am glad to hear his fins look okay, I see the smallest part that could look off and get so worried! He swims a lot, is very active and flares daily but the eating and pooping has been worrying me, thank you so much!

8. OP
    OP
    kk07723

Thank you so much!
    k yo

9. OP
    OP
    kk07723

I worded that badly! I have been cycling this 5 gal for a little over a month, I'm new to fish owning so I made sure to do my research as I wanted to give my new fish a good home. I knew it would be ready soon by this week as the levels were increasingly becoming lower, so I went ahead and bought this little guy and had him in another tank for a few days which could have been bad for him, which I feel terrible about. I did 25% water changes every day in the smaller tank to try to keep it clean until I got him into this one, I don't know if it was a possibility that the water in the 1 gal could have been bad? He was in there for 4 days. I really wanted to make sure everything would be safe for him, the levels in his current tank are ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, and nitrates 20.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice