Normal Behaviour? Question

1. Gillis6 Initiate Member

I just started my aquarium a few weeks ago. I let it cycle for a bit before adding my fish. I picked up a goldfish a couple days ago and decided to add a fantail calico. When I added him in the tank the goldfish immediately started chasing him. He's been chasing him for a couple hours and I wanted to know if that's normal? I've read up about the pecking order and stuff. How long should they do that before I draw a line?

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

How large is the tank?
    What type of goldfish is the "goldfish"?

3. Gillis6 Initiate Member

The tank is a 10 gallon and the first goldfish is a comet I believe.

4. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Some chasing is normal, goldfish are social. If the other fish is smaller, watch them in case the big one mistakes the new one for food

I would make sure there's cover for them to break line-of-sight, and just watch for now.

If you feel that things are getting too persistent and one is stressed out, you may have to remove one. Can you divide the tank for the night?

5. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Comet goldfish need at least 100 gallons/a pond and fantails need at least 20 gallons. A 10 gallon is too small for the goldfish, which could be causing the aggression. It is best to return/rehome the comet and either get a larger tank (at least 20 gallons) or return/rehome the fantail too.

6. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

A 10 gallon is too small for goldfish. Not only do goldfish produce large amounts of waste and can ruin water quality quickly, they can grow to be quite large

7. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Oh, that explains much....it hadn't been posted yet when I got here

Yes, the comet is likely defending his limited water space. They are best suited to ponds, streamlined and fast as they are.....

8. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

It would be best to rehome the goldfish unless you plan to get 100+ gallon tank. If you are to keep the fantail you need at least a 20gallon (15 adition gallons per goldfish after the 1st goldfish).

9. Gillis6 Initiate Member

Thank you all!