Normal behaviour or Gill flukes?

1. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Hello all I've noticed my female guppies are acting strange and scraping their gills/sides of bodies on the sand. Like they are flashing the sand. I have two videos, and two females flash the sand but I don't know how to upload videos. They are doing it off leaves too. I saw one of my Minnows do it a few weeks ago but none of them have done it since. Is this a sign of Gill files or parasites or something?? Please help!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

It could be. Also could be having an ammonia/nitrite spike. Make sure your levels are in check. If it is gill flukes or skin flukes, then prazipro is a great medication for that I hear.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

That doesn't sound like normal behavior. I don't know if it would cause flashing like that, but ich supposedly starts in the gills. So that might be something to keep an eye out for.

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Bla...

Unless you're familiar with fish biology, you really can't know if your fish have a parasite or something else is wrong, if anything. Flashing isn't always a bad sign. Many species of fish do this to dislodge small bits of algae from plants or decorations for food. Odd behavior can mean water conditions aren't good. What is your water change routine? If you're not removing and replacing large amounts of tank water weekly, you should. Even traces of dissolved fish waste in the water can stress fish and will weaken their immune system. This is especially true in smaller tanks.

I would start a more aggressive water change routine. Work up to changing half or more of the tank water weekly. Small tanks under 30 gallons will do best with large water changes a couple of times a week.

Maintain a pure, stable water chemistry and you won't have to worry about the health of your fish.

Old

5. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Its a 47.5Gal (180L) tank and I do a 25-30% every week on a Sunday. But I also do a 40-50% every once a month instead of my usual so that's 140% of the water changed minimum each month. Should I up this? I'm on labour watch for two of my female guppies today and I've pretty much been watching the tank the whole day. Nobody else had flashed the sand since this morning. I did add a half dose of water life Sterazin (because I have fry in the tank already) just to be sure. I just checked parameters and nitrites and ammonia are 0... maybe they were searching for food? When I wake up the sand is always dimpled from where the guppies have been picking at it. Gah I really don't know...

6. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again Bla...

Consistent water changes are best. Work up to the point you remove and replace half the tank water every week. I'm not a fan of using sand, it compacts, is more difficult to clean and can create water problems. But since you have it, move the surface with the syphon and up the water changes to half the tank's volume every week. Add some floating plants like Anacharis or Hornwort. These are fast growers and will make the fish more comfortable. The plants also add to the fishes' diet.

Chemicals should stay out of the tank water, unless you know the problem exactly and know that particular chemical will fix it. Water changes are the best fix for any tank problem.

Old

7. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info Old! I have two hyacinths in the tank and there is a giant strand of Myrophillium Pinnatum Foxtail green that floats on the top. I also have a Slavinia minima. Are these alright as floating plants or should I get a different species? Should I get more floating plants?

8. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again Bla...

Aquarium plants will help use the dissolved waste material from the fish and other plants, so use what you like and research them, so you know you're providing the right light. The plants I gave you are all easy to grow and will work with a variety of lighting. The large frequent water changes will keep the tank pollution free for the fish and provide a constant source of minerals for the plants.

Old