Normal angelfish behaviour

Dan1984

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could tell me what normal day to day angelfish behaviour looks like? Do they swim around a lot? Are they fast or slow? What level of the tank they swim at? All those kind of things. Thanks!

fish 321

Dan1984 said:
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could tell me what normal day to day angelfish behaviour looks like? Do they swim around a lot? Are they fast or slow? What level of the tank they swim at? All those kind of things. Thanks!
When I had my angel pair they were very active. They spent alot of ime foraging the leaves of plants and the tank bottom. Whenever ther saw me they would go crazy and start swimming up against the glass begging for food. They are also pretty fast.

Dan1984

Thanks! Mine are still getting used to the tank I think, spend a lot of time hiding. We're yours very aggressive at feeding time? Mine seem to be too scared to challenge other fish for food at the moment

fish 321

Dan1984 said:
Thanks! Mine are still getting used to the tank I think, spend a lot of time hiding. We're yours very aggressive at feeding time? Mine seem to be too scared to challenge other fish for food at the moment
Yeah they were very agressive feeders.

DerekO24

Mine are pretty active , but mellow at times too. They’re a breeding pair , sometimes they’re aggressive but only towards each other , never bother any other tank mates

Dan1984

Thanks guys, any ideas how long I should be expecting them to take to settle in? They just hide by the filter intake at the moment apart from the occasional swim to the other end of the tank.

yukondog

How long have they been the tank, is the tank cycled?
What size tank?
Mine are pretty mellow except at feeding time.

Dan1984

It's a 240L tank, it's definitely cycled. At the moment though my bolivian rams charge the angels everytime they go below about half the depth of the tank

DerekO24

I think the general rule is ,with cichlids , even rams and angels, aggression is possible. Maybe give it time .. if not , choose who you like the most and bring back the others

Dan1984

Yeah that's a definite possibility, the angels may have to go back if things don't settle down in a few weeks

Kitley

I have five angels. Four of them are roughly three inches across the body, and one is smaller...about two inches. I have had mine for four or five months now. My larger ones are just starting to show a bit of aggression.I have yet to see any sexual parts appear, to know their sex. If the larger angels are getting too bossy, the small onw hides in the corner with the filter. I tried to move her to another tank, but could not catch her. He or she just seems to know when to surf with the others, and when to exit.
They have destroyed my real plants, but I have lots of real ones, for them to hide from each other, and they are not at all aggressive at feeding time...but they all come right out for feeding. They tend to mostly swim slowly, but can be fast to chase a tank mate away, mostly they are all in the open, and they cover the entire tank. I remember mine being shy for a long time when I got them...like maybe a week or two. If fish are shy, I keep the lights off to try to help them feel more at peace with their new tank.

Dan1984

Thanks very much for the long reply, really appreciate all the advice

fallfever

I'm a little behind on this thread, but I'm curious if these are young, small angels or full grown. There is certainly a bit of adjustment for them in a new tank, and it sounds like your rams are doing what cichlids do...defending territory that has been their own and reminding the angels of their boundaries. As long as no damage is done (fin nipping, biting, etc.), as the angels grow and get acclimated they'll define their own turf. Long term I've always had more concerns about bullying among angels rather than other fish as they establish a hierarchy or pair off. They can (or cannot, for that matter) get nasty with each other. I've rehomed angels in the past who have been stunted due to bullying.
As for behavior, I'm looking at an angel right now who is gracefully swimming the upper third of the tank, where he spends most of his time, occasionally visiting the lower half, but always returning. They are not shy, nor do they hide, but they are not hyperactive, and it's not unusual for them to stay idle for a while no doubt admiring themselves. If feeding becomes an issue, offer food at opposite ends of the tank so the angels may feel more comfortable. In time, you may be back here with questions about the angels becoming full of themselves

Dennis57

I have always had Angels in a community tank, and will say they pretty much just move all around the tank. Feeding time they go crazy. Make sure the water flow is not to strong for them.
I also have Bolivian Rams in some of the tanks with Angels and there is never a problem.

Dan1984

Thanks guys, as people with experience how big do angels generally get? How tall I mean, it seems to vary everywhere I look online!

Dennis57

Dan1984 said:
Thanks guys, as people with experience how big do angels generally get? How tall I mean, it seems to vary everywhere I look online!
Mine are close to 3-1/2 years old and are about 6" long and 7-8" high

fallfever

Dan is spot on...6 inches is to be expected with the fins causing them to be taller rather than longer.
Dan is spot on...6 inches is to be expected with the fins causing them to be taller rather than longer.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom