Normal African Dwarf Frog Activity

scteel

Hi all – I have added 4 ADF to my 10 gallon tank. The only other fish are one male betta and one bumblebee goby. All frogs seem to be doing great and eating very well with a mix of blood worms, tubifex worms, and brine shrimp. I had always thought they were pretty inactive little creatures, but mine swim around pretty consistently. I have had them for almost 2 months now. They never hide and only lie on the bottom occasionally. I have noticed they begin swimming a lot when the light comes on at around 5pm (goes off at 11pm). Is the constant swimming normal? They seem very active and I’m hoping that’s a good sign and not a bad one. It’s my first time with ADFs so I wanted to check here. I have two nano sponge filters in each corner and all water parameters are good, though I do have hard water but use conditioner and ammonia and nitrite are zero with a Ph. of around 7.2. I have sand substrate and LOTS of live plants. I do keep the water level no higher than 10 inches from the bottom as I read they are not good swimmers, so the tank probably has only 9 gallons of water.

Thanks!!

Analisemcg

Hi all – I have added 4 ADF to my 10 gallon tank. The only other fish are one male betta and one bumblebee goby. All frogs seem to be doing great and eating very well with a mix of blood worms, tubifex worms, and brine shrimp. I had always thought they were pretty inactive little creatures, but mine swim around pretty consistently. I have had them for almost 2 months now. They never hide and only lie on the bottom occasionally. I have noticed they begin swimming a lot when the light comes on at around 5pm (goes off at 11pm). Is the constant swimming normal? They seem very active and I’m hoping that’s a good sign and not a bad one. It’s my first time with ADFs so I wanted to check here. I have two nano sponge filters in each corner and all water parameters are good, though I do have hard water but use conditioner and ammonia and nitrite are zero with a Ph. of around 7.2. I have sand substrate and LOTS of live plants. I do keep the water level no higher than 10 inches from the bottom as I read they are not good swimmers, so the tank probably has only 9 gallons of water.

Thanks!!
i think that behavior is normal and a good sign, but input from someone else would be good. They are kind of nocturnal, mine is usually more active after the are lights out too.

Upvote 0

scteel

Thank you - mine get more active when the lights go on actually, but they aren't exactly sedentary when they are off.

Upvote 0

Lucy

Hi!
Sounds pretty normal. They might associate lights on to feeding time!

Upvote 0

scteel

Good to now - thank you!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Question
Replies
Views
Allyssasaurusrexx