Nooo!

1. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

I just saw that Walmart is selling Jack Dempseys! Like there aren't enough LFS's recommending them for 10 gallon tanks.

2. Elodea Well Known Member Member

*Winces* I'd hate to think of what would happen to those Jack Dempseys...Buy them all and save them! Just kidding.

3. outlaw Well Known Member Member

Was there the other day and saw the sign that says they will grow to the size of the tank (i think it was koi) or up to 16" if in a large tank or pond. Pretty sad, not to mention their Betta's all looked about dead.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I don't even want to think about the repercussions of this:;fru. We can save cup baby bettas with 5 gallon tanks. How many of us have the 55g tanks these sweethearts require?

Wouldn't it be great if laws were passed that stated you couldn't sell fish if you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle and the specific actual requirements of each fish you sell?

5. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

I hate it when fish shop assistants know nothing about the fish they sell, luckily mine does as stated in the thread MY LFS SECOND TO NONE.

6. outlaw Well Known Member Member

I would agree with that. I did notice that for each species of fish it did have at least the "grows to: xx"'s" on the description. If you still buy the fish knowing your tank is not even the length of the fish.. then that is the person buying the fish's fault and should be taken care of. A lot of places don't even do that.

I swear.. I don't know what happened to Ed...:;dk lol

**sorry if your name is any correlation to Ed and you are not this type of person** :D

7. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Can anyone tell me why animal rights don't apply to fish? :(

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I can, I can! The human race has not evolved far enough yet. Those of us here on the forum are still waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.

We're the elite:)

9. Elodea Well Known Member Member

Won't it be wonderful when Petsmart stops selling angelfish to little kids with fish bowls?

10. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

My Wal-Mart carries GSP's and Oscars. :(

At one time, my LFS has red-tailed catfish.

11. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My Wal-Mart no longer sells fish....but they were really the best place to get fish in the area. Petsmart is TERRIBLE. And my LFS sells tankbusters to people with 10 gallons all the time

12. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

I hated whne walmart sells fish. In every tank or so, theres at least one died fish per tank which is sad. I understand walmart is a really big store and can't keep up with everything but still.

Thats why petco and petsmart is better when it coems to fish than walmart and LFs even better than the three combined. Sad to here about that though. :(

13. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I guess it depends on the store. Because I'd never buy fish from Petsmart around me, Petco is only a little better. My LFS leave much to be desired as well

14. Elodea Well Known Member Member

The first time I wentt to stock my new 10g tank (2 years ago when I never did any research) Petsmart told me that a common pleco would be okay for my 10g...luckily, he didn't last very long.

15. crazedACD Member Member

Spotted "Assorted African Cichlids" at walmart yesterday...ugh. Nothing looked incredibly healthy. The mollies and platies were very washed out looking, not sure what was going on with them, but their bodies just looked like it had a film on it. Not to mention the dyed fish, the Oscars...sigh. The Oscar's tag said they only get up to 8"...yeah right.

16. stefjane Member Member

I went to a petstore last week and looked around the fish section and then the sales guy asked me what I wanted and I said those three little angelfish and then he asked me about my tank, what fish I had, how big it was...I was very impressed! He even recommended me NOT to get those angelfish because my two full grown angelfish would most likely bully them to death!!!!! Very impressive salesperson I thought. For once, someone selling fish actually knew about them!!!

17. David C Well Known Member Member

I guess I'm just lucky. Was at my local PetCo today and the guy in the fish department actually new about fish, even the nitrogen cycle. We talked for about 30 minutes and I was really impressed, still didn't buy any fish from them though just outta general principle. I went to my LFS and bought all my fish, I vote with my wallet.

Dave

18. whisper Well Known Member Member

It just kills me to see the goldfish and Koi in the LFS. It makes me wonder just how many stupid people actually think they can keep a Koi (which can grow to 3' long) in a tank. And a Goldfish that can grow to 9"-12". The worst thing is that the workers at the LFS don't even tell people this. They're told "Just make the sale".

19. Morgan Member Member

My LFS is a perfect :;perfect . Very knowledgable. They will not sell any sick fish. Matter of fact when there is a tank with ill fish, they write NFS (not for sale) on their tanks. This alerts customers and reminds workers that this tank is off limits until problem solved. I love my LFS. And they don't sell goldfish nor koi. Though if they did, they are set for them as they do keep fish in properly sized tanks.

20. Walan20 Member Member

Don't buy from walmart. Just don't. My PetSmart sells WAY better fish. My petsmart is top notch :)