Noodle's Nano Tank

MissNoodle

Member
Tank size: 10 gallon
Planted: Yes, low tech.

Current stock:
7 corydoras pygmaeus
Ramshorn snails

Current plants:
Anubias Lanceolata
Water Wisteria
Anarcharis

Temperature: 76F (heated by Aqueon Preset Filter)
PH: 7.8
Filter(s): DIY MinI Sponge, DIY Air Powered Gravel Jar
Lighting: Topfin LED

Hardscape:
Driftwood
Rocks
Leaf litter
Sycamore bark



Planned stock:
7 corydoras pygmaeus
2 sparkling gourami
Ramshorn snails

Planned plants:
Anarcharis (would like to grow to form floating cover)
Anubias Lanceolata
Some sort of small crypt
(Wisteria is temporary)
Marimo Moss Balls

Fertilizer: Seachem Flourish
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Some shots of the pygmies. They were a gift


 

Sien

Member
Love! Just got some pygmys today and I am so happy.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member

Quick video of the pygmies. Day 2 with them. Theyre soooo cute how they wiggle their little fins as they hover.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Rescaped more carefully. Moved two crypt wendtiI plantlets over from my 46g and more anarcharis. Kept the wisteria in...



May reconsider the moss balls though, the price ugh
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
MissNoodle said:
Rescaped more carefully. Moved two crypt wendtiI plantlets over from my 46 gallon and more anarcharis. Kept the wisteria in...



May reconsider the moss balls though, the price ugh
It looks good now, it will look amazing when everything grows in
(Wrong media lol )
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It looks good now, it will look amazing when everything grows in
(Wrong media lol )
Shhhh I have been awake since yesterday after working long hours overnight. My brain is fried.

I'm wanting to add some bushier plants, but I'm not 100% sure if my ludwigia would make a good fit with the lighting. I could attempt some trimmings... but lol

And a sword is out of the question. Way too big. I may give my coworker a plantlet from my sword though since I have more than enough.
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
MissNoodle said:
Shhhh I have been awake since yesterday after working long hours overnight. My brain is fried.

I'm wanting to add some bushier plants, but I'm not 100% sure if my ludwigia would make a good fit with the lighting. I could attempt some trimmings... but lol

And a sword is out of the question. Way too big. I may give my coworker a plantlet from my sword though since I have more than enough.
You could try a Hygrophila, mines done ok despite the lighting being average.

I’ll look up the names, I bought 2 and I cannot remember their names
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
You could try a Hygrophila, mines done ok despite the lighting being average.

I’ll look up the names, I bought 2 and I cannot remember their names
I'm limited!

Anything from here that would be good? Avoid floating plants, ill kill them. My tank lid doesn't allow that much light.
Plants
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
I believe it's Hygrophilia Polysperma-Rosanervis
Just checked and they have it, it says you need medium CO2 but mines done just fine without it, it just lacks the colored patterning but it still looks good imo.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Alright. So I trimmed a few of the taller ludwigia in my 46g and moved 3 pieces to the 10 as a trial. Moved some plants again...

And today visited the river and collected some water-worn rocks and clam shells... I'm really happy with the scape. Hopefully it fills in good.



It's so hard to get all 7 in one place. One just always has to be off solo adventuring by himself... but here are six of them



Also, for kicks... water changes are fun. The refill hose I use creates swirling mists of microbubbles. The pygmies seem to like chasing them. The weirdos.
 

aquafrogg

Member
Always love your tanks! <3 can’t wait to see how this tank turns out!
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Excited, placed my order for 2 sparkling gouramis (ideally two girls) and a 20 gallon hydra sponge filter.

Should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, given that it usually takes a day to process the order.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Both sparkling gouramI arrived today safe and alive despite a weather delay in shipping. Cant wait to see how they colour up as they settle.

New sponge filter also came in as I ordered it the same time as the sparklers. Happy with it, its quieter than I expected. Less of an eyesore than my previous DIY minI one.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Theyve both coloured up really well so far. Ive named them Aster and Nyx

 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
I swear there are 9 fish in this tank. Theyre just so small you really have to watch to see them.
But my plants have taken to the tank. My baby crypts up front have gained a new leaf and are still growing

 

jkkgron2

Member
Love the tank! What substrate is that? I’d love it in my tank!
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
jkkgron2 said:
Love the tank! What substrate is that? I’d love it in my tank!
Simply play sand from the hardware store. I just have some local river pebbles mixed around here and there, plus some sycamore tree bark, some local freshwater clam shells... but the bare base is play sand

These cories make it seem larger though. Its a fine sand. The pygmies are just so tiny
 

iamgoldfish

Member
wow this is beautiful!
 

aquafrogg

Member
Gotta comment on this one too, I'm just now catching up on your threads Love the sparkling gouramis! Very pretty fish. Do you plan on adding any other stocking to this tank?
 

DylanM

Member
Not really related to the thread, although the sparkling gouramis are great, but what kind of camera do you use?

Edit: actually I'm more interested in what kind of lens, but knowing both would be awesome.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Sunflower said:
Gotta comment on this one too, I'm just now catching up on your threads Love the sparkling gouramis! Very pretty fish. Do you plan on adding any other stocking to this tank?
I may add some kubotaI rasboras should they come back into stock at my favourite store (same place the sparklers came from). Theyre a dream fish of mine, another nano too. But theyd do well I think. If not them, another one of the micro rasbora species.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
DylanM said:
Not really related to the thread, although the sparkling gouramis are great, but what kind of camera do you use?

Edit: actually I'm more interested in what kind of lens, but knowing both would be awesome.
Ehhh for these I'm simply using my phone. It's a samsung galaxy A8. Due for an upgrade this year lol no lens used.


I do photography though as a hobby. Birds and nature. My good camera doesn't have a short lens I can use indoors right now though.

For my hobby use, I use a Nikon D750 with a Bower 500mm fixed lens.
 

DylanM

Member
MissNoodle said:
Ehhh for these I'm simply using my phone. It's a samsung galaxy A8. Due for an upgrade this year lol no lens used.


I do photography though as a hobby. Birds and nature. My good camera doesn't have a short lens I can use indoors right now though.

For my hobby use, I use a Nikon D750 with a Bower 500mm fixed lens.
Wow, I really need a phone upgrade, trying to take pictures of fish with my 6S is stupidly hard and comes out not looking great, your phone takes almost as good aquarium photos as my cannon 5d mk II with a zoom lens.

Awesome wildlife photography btw, must have been hard getting that second picture.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
DylanM said:
Wow, I really need a phone upgrade, trying to take pictures of fish with my 6S is stupidly hard and comes out not looking great, your phone takes almost as good aquarium photos as my cannon 5d mk II with a zoom lens.

Awesome wildlife photography btw, must have been hard getting that second picture.
I used to use a canon lens, but it broke on me lol old. Needs to be professionally cleaned and repaired.

But with that lens, I got my favourite shot, pure luck:
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Sunflower hilariously I just checked the site and kubotais are back in stock. But I have to hold off until another time. Itll cost me $50 for 8 of them (factoring in the shipping) and I want to upgrade my betta's tank first and let this tank settle a bit more after just adding more stock to it. Kubotais are delicate.

Neon Green Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai) - small - $3.00
Their photo doesn't do them justice.

I mean, look at these beauties. Natural colour too.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
So did this today...




 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
They came in yesterday


Can you find them in the tank?
 

jkkgron2

Member
MissNoodle said:
They came in yesterday


Can you find them in the tank?
Found one!
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member

These tiny guys are doing fantastic. All 8 still going strong, sassy little things.



Sad though, today we will be sending one of our sparklers, Aster, to a new home. He terrorizes our kubotais and the other sparkler violently. Unfortunately we cannot move such a tiny fish elsewhere either.


Some photos...


That last one is really backlit but I really liked the composition of it. That one is Nyx, the shyer boy.
 

alx

Member
I love the green rasboras.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member

These guys adore their water changes.

Aster went to his new home today. I have confidence that hes going to be taken care of well.

Now it is just Nyx left with the rasboras and the pygmies. Ironically now the pygmies are coming out of hiding too, now that the bully is gone. Thinking hes been having a go at them as well.

Little Nyx, looking for snacks.


And the ever changing anarcharis. Grows, I trim, I replant, grows, I trim, repeat.
 

Craig_84

Member
Love that setup, good job!
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Got this photo yesterday, showing Nyx's colours. He is definitely becoming more outgoing. He comes up to the glass when I am there, but is still wary.



Even got rhe blue in his feelers
 

Craig_84

Member
How do the difference between the male & female in sparkling gourami? Is it just vibrant colour of male?
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Craig_84 said:
How do the difference between the male & female in sparkling gourami? Is it just vibrant colour of male?
Gotta look at them back lit in the light. Females have a slight point to their internal organs and males are round.

Otherwise they look the same.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Craig_84 said:
How do the difference between the male & female in sparkling gourami? Is it just vibrant colour of male?


I did an image comparison to show the difference
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
I'm not sure why I posted my nano tank on my other thread. Oops.

But ive since added 2 new sparkler girls and 3 more pygmy cories.


Nyx seems to like the smaller of the two girls, but isn't willing to share his filter with the other girl.


Weirdo fish
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member


Nyx is finally sharing his filter with both new girls, so I think he accepts them as tank mates so far. Hes not darting after them or acting aggressively towards them if they approach his filter.

Last photo is of one of the kubos. He matches the ludwigia lol I wish it came out clearer though, but the kubos are hard to photograph. Quick little things
 

Craig_84

Member
MissNoodle said:
Nyx is finally sharing his filter with both new girls, so I think he accepts them as tank mates so far. Hes not darting after them or acting aggressively towards them if they approach his filter.

Last photo is of one of the kubos. He matches the ludwigia lol I wish it came out clearer though, but the kubos are hard to photograph. Quick little things
Very good photos, my phone has issues focusing on fish it always focuses on the scape.
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Craig_84 said:
Very good photos, my phone has issues focusing on fish it always focuses on the scape.
A trick, because my phone does the same with the sparklers for some reason, but purposely focus on the scape. A rock or sand or plant leaf... pick that and set your focus on it and slowly move your phone so the fish is in focus.

You trick your phone into focusing on what YOU want to focus on
 

Craig_84

Member
MissNoodle said:
Ehhh for these I'm simply using my phone. It's a samsung galaxy A8. Due for an upgrade this year lol no lens used.

I do photography though as a hobby. Birds and nature. My good camera doesn't have a short lens I can use indoors right now though.
For my hobby use, I use a Nikon D750 with a Bower 500mm fixed lens.
Also too like photography but not done it in a while, here are some old ones.
 

Craig_84

Member
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Craig_84 said:
Also too like photography but not done it in a while, here are some old ones.
That European robin though!!! That's a bird I really want to see if I ever go to Europe one day. That little bird is the top of my list to see haha of all things
 

Craig_84

Member
MissNoodle said:
That European robin though!!! That's a bird I really want to see if I ever go to Europe one day. That little bird is the top of my list to see haha of all things
Haha, I have sooooo many robin pictures because they are very common in Scotland. Territorial little things they can be as you mostly ever see them alone. Red breast looks stunning when it snows I might add.

My most random pic is this. NOT photo shopped I might add.

 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Craig_84 said:
Love Red Squirrels, it's a shame about them. We used to get them in my back yard but it's rare you see them these days
 
  • Thread Starter

MissNoodle

Member
Craig_84 said:
Haha, I have sooooo many robin pictures because they are very common in Scotland. Territorial little things they can be as you mostly ever see them alone. Red breast looks stunning when it snows I might add.

My most random pic is this. NOT photo shopped I might add.

Nice crow harassing the rough legged hawk (buzzard as I think theyre called in UK) plus that big metal hawk crashing the party
 

Sprinkle

Member
Cute tank and cute pygmies. Just adorable
 

TWiG87

Member
Wow, awesome ten gallon. I like your stocking choices a lot
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom