noob with questions...

kerberos

Reaction score
hello all, I just put together a 29 gallon freshwater tank. I had some questions about the nitrogen cycle. First off, is it even a big deal? Second, should I begin this cycle before I put fish in, or let it naturally happen? And last, if I begin the cycle fishless, why would I want to create an ammonia build up if ammonia is no good for the fishies? I just don't want floaters the first week. Thanks

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome!    I'm fairly new as well.  Have you checked out this article?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!! We have people from all over the world of all ages and experience levels so come on in. I know you didn't know but we try to post questions only in one place so you get your answers all in one place. so we will use this thread to welcome you
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kerberos said:
hello all, I just put together a 29 gallon freshwater tank. I had some questions about the nitrogen cycle. First off, is it even a big deal? Second, should I begin this cycle before I put fish in, or let it naturally happen? And last, if I begin the cycle fishless, why would I want to create an ammonia build up if ammonia is no good for the fishies? I just don't want floaters the first week. Thanks
hi ;D, welcome to fishlore. cycling a tank is a very important thing. you must cycle your tank before adding fish. you can perform cycling with some hardy fish like zebra danio but i think it is rude; so i prefer to cycle a tank without fish. you should study the nitrogen cycle article on this site to learn more about cycling.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
welcome to fishlore! yes the nitrogen cycle is a big deal!!! i'd never heard of it when i got my first tank. wish i did! it will save you killing your fish!! you dont want fish deaths in your first few weeks of fishkeeping! research as much as you can. read the articles on freshwater for beginners and all about the nitrogen cycle. read some of the posts there too about other peoples experiences..this will save you making the same mistakes and just keep reading! read everything you can get your hands on!! it'll be worth it! any questions let us know on the appropriate board and someone will help you. we dont want you to have floaters in the 1st wk either!
good luck!
tan

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore kerberos. Hope you will remember us any time you have problems, just post your questions on the board that addresses it and you will get the quickest response. I would say that understanding the nitrogen cycle is THE most important thing you need to do to keep a healthy tank. So click on the link at the bottom of this page, Fish Tank Beginners Guides, and read all the articles. Best of Luck!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom