Noob - When Do I Remove Platy Mama After Giving Birth?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Novemayune, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

My platy is giving birth, and so far I count at least 10 fry. How do I know when she is done and it is time to remove her from the breeder net?

ETA: How old do the fry need to be before I can vac the gravel? I can see a few that she must have dropped before I got her in the breeder net, and I would feel bad sucking up the little guys :(

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Normal birth for livebears is three hours as long as there is a grate between mom and babies all well be fine. If you have other fish in the tank the fry might become snacks if there is not enough hiding places.To vac just put a brand new never washed nylon sock over the vac so they don't get sucked up.

3. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Thanks :) I just have the cheapie breeder net, so there isn't any kind of separation. They are swimming all over the place! And some of the ones she dropped before I realized she was giving birth are swimming all over. It's a 55g and I only have 4 platys and 4 cories, so they seem to be doing okay. I've been trying to net some of the fry to place in the breeder tank, but they are just as quick as the full-grown ones, so I haven't been terribly successful. I noticed a couple heading for my marimo moss ball, and several of them are hiding under some plastic plants a bought this week to help provide some cover for them in case she gave birth while I wasn't watching. Thank you for your help!

4. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Good luck with your new babies your a grandparent now!! :D

5. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Thank you! I think one of my other female platys may also be pregnant. :eek:

6. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Thanks for the link to your FAQ! It was very helpful :)

I do have another question - what do I do with the fry that survive? I really only wanted 4-6 platies... Today I counted at least 14 fry! I got mine from PetSmart, but I thought I read somewhere that some lfs will take "teen" fish...?

8. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

That's about right. Many people (including myself) find that not all of the fry survive to adulthood anyway; if you have 14 or so, there's a good chance that natural selection could leave you with the 4-6 that you want. If more fish than that survive to maybe 3/4 of an inch long, you might call your LFS then. It's early to do it now, though.

Be aware that not all LFS will take livebearers. They're just too darn easy to breed -- the last time I "bought" platies the store just gave them to me at no charge. I'm sure they wouldn't take their descendants back.

Glad you liked the FAQ. :)

9. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

I have a friend with a 20 gallon and two platies who said she would take a couple when I am ready to rehome them. She is actually the one who told me that I should give fish-keeping a go...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice