Noob Wants Plants To Live Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by OurFirstTimeFishy, Apr 22, 2019.

1. OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

30 gallon temp around 80, substrate is rock and gravel stuff (came with tank)

I'm looking to add more plants into my tank but they all seem to die, not sure if it's the substrate or the lights or even a mix of both, I only use root tabs so possibly I should be buying other stuff. I have a timer set from 12 noon until 9pm daily possibly longer? ... the lighting came with the tank and it's called jebo, light bulb info aqueon 17w 120v t8 24, the second is a little harder to read, jebo 1000k t8,the first picture if the light I normally use, the second picture is a brighter yellowier (I know not a word) light which I never use ... I've tried green cabomba, hornwort, red ludwigia... currently what hasn't died is corkscrew vallisneria.. if you have suggestions or tips that can help, I'm looking for something similar to the last picture but not as bushy in the corner

20190422_120341.jpg20190422_120355.jpg4mnrPBB.jpg

2. OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

I'd like to add, the plants I can get are either from petsmart or bigals... or I can order online of someone has a great source to deliver in canada

3. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

The tank you are showing has a 5000-6500k LED light and plant substrate where it has root plants. They are most likely dosing it with CO2 and fertilizer as well.
    You have a 1000k bulb along with inert substrate which will only support some anubias and java ferns which do well in low light and don't need nutrients in the soil.
    You can change the bulb to a 5000k daylight from your hardware store, pet stores charge too much for it or switch out to another light. Your Val is a root feeder so you will need to add root tabs soon or it will die off as well. Vals, Crypts, and Small Swords can survive with the 5000k T8 bulb and root tabs. Hornwort, water sprite, pennywort, and many other stem plants are good as well, but if you plant heavy you will need to add fertilizers.

4. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

If you are looking for an online plant store, I am on the prairies and use The Plant Guy, out of Winnipeg Manitoba. Excellent product, prices not bad, shipping is first class. I’m a repeat customer, you won’t be disappointed.

5. OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

I did a fast scroll the site and everything seems great, I might give this a try. Way better selection then my LFS thanks