Noob Question You've Probably Heard 100 Times Before

1. daisyjimin Initiate Member

hi, everyone! i am a beginner to fish keeping. i bought a 10-gallon tank a while ago and cycled it for about a month. then two days ago i added my first fix -- six neon tetras. they're looking very bright and healthy and adorable so far, but now i'm thinking about what to finish stocking it with.

i would LOVE a male betta, but after tonnes of research, i've only heard mixed things about keeping them in a community tank. some people say they can get along fine with a small school of neon tetras, and i've seen plenty of success stories, but other say don't even try. so i'm here asking for this community's input. :)

if i get one, my tank will be heavily planted by the time i do so that they all have places to hide. it's modestly planted at the moment and will eventually be heavily planted regardless. the temperature is 78F (i have since turned the heater down to 76, just waiting for the temp to change) with a ph between 6 and 7 last time i checked, which was just before i added the tetras. i would also make sure to choose the most calm betta at the pet shop rather than the prettiest, as i know they have individual personalities.

worst-case scenario, i could buy a 5-gallon for the betta, but i'd really prefer to keep everyone in a single tank.

so what are you guys' opinions about male bettas in community tanks?

2. Pastel.Fish. Member Member

You could try since it only matters on the betta`s behaviour, so one that`s very laid back should work perfectly. Test it out with a breeders net in your tank to see if all he does is flare at the fish, then slowy let him out and closely observe his behavior! I hope this helps and if you try that it works out smoothly! :)

(Also in some cases bettas are the ones bullied in community tanks!)

3. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Depends on their personality. Some get along and others will violently murder anything in the tank.
    Also, neons need to be a bigger tank 20g minimum and they need cooler water then Bettas.

4. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Neon tetras are not temperature compatible with bettas. Neon tetras being in a 10 gallon is pretty debated - most say they tend to do best in a 20+ gallon.

Don't mix bettas and other fish unless you have a super peaceful one, and even then, you'd need a 20+ gallon tank, and temperature and personality compatible fish.

I've had a success with a community betta, but she's the only one I have that would do well with other fish.

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Neons need cooler water than bettas and 20 gallons+

It's very risky to keep bettas with other fish in less than 20 gallons.

6. daisyjimin Initiate Member

what would you say their ideal temperature is? everywhere i look gives me a different answer, generally 70 - 80 for neons and 76 - 82 for bettas, so i was thinking they would be comfortable in the mid to upper 70s.

i didn't know about the tank size for neons. mine barely use 1/4 of the space in the 10-gallon, but that could just mean that they're not used to the environment yet.

7. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas need 78-82f (with their ideal being 80f) while neons need 68-75f (with their ideal being around 72-73f)

8. daisyjimin Initiate Member

i had no idea they required so much space?? i've seen heaps of 10g aquariums with small groups of them. would it be cruel to keep them in the 10g and therefore should i rehome them? or will they be okay if i just leave the six of them there without adding more fish? i MIGHT be able to upgrade to a bigger tank later in the year, but it depends how big 20-gallons are (i can't really picture one in my head) because i don't have much space.

i've become so attached to those fish already, and now i feel awful.

9. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They alone need 20 gallons+. They are active schooling fish

10. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

A standard 10 gallon is 20 inches long, 11 inches deep, and 13 inches tall.

A 20 long (the ideal size for them) is 30 inches long, 13 inches deep, and 13 inches tall.

Temporarily they're fine, but I wouldn't wait to upgrade for more than a month.

11. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

They ARE small fish but they are active. It'd be like comparing a sprinter to a sumo wrestler. One would be quite happy in a one bedroom apartment because they are not active. A sprinter would go nuts. (Purely comparing activity level and no offence intended)They should be rehomeed. There are other fish that can go in a 10 but with a betta that is *really* pushing everyone's limits. I can live in the same house as my sister but that dosen't mean I want to have to share rooms. :)

The biggest issue (in my option) is that a 5-10-20-30 g *isnt* that big of a space jump. A 20g TALL is 24" long, a 20g LONG is 32" and a 30g is also 32". So * really* it's only a couple inches. :D

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with BottomDweller, neon tetras need a larger tank.
    Have you seen this thread yet?: Stocking List for 10 Gallons

13. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I would rehome the neons. What are the dimensions of the 10 gallon?