Noob needs id

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Leigh Muckey, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Leigh Muckey

Leigh MuckeyNew MemberMember

Hey all,

I'm new and just inherited a tank with two species of fresh water plant I'm not familiar with. I've never done planted aquariums before but I'm moving that way just because I think they look SO much better. Thanks for the help!

-Leigh

20150810_181234.jpg20150810_181313.png.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    Leigh Muckey

4. AquaticBrandon

Yes they work now :). The 1st plant is hornwort. Hornwort is a fast growing plant and it can be left floating or just anchored down slightly. It doesn't have roots so if it's planted into the substrate it will slowly die off. The 2nd plant looks like Crypt Wendtii, more like the green variety or bronze. Crypts are heavy root feeders so they benefit a lot from root tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    Leigh Muckey

Thanks for the help!

6. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Leigh Muckey - actually the first plant is definitely not hornwort. I'm not sure what it is, but I know that it's not hornwort. The 2nd plant probably is a type of crypt, perhaps wendetti, hard to tell without more growth.

Here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with planted low light tanks, it should help with most of the basics, be sure to read all the links and feel free to ask any questions after you read through.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/how-to-set-up-a-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.24/

7. AquaticBrandon

Looks like hornwort to me, it actually looks like hornwort when it's dying and loses some of it's leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Orgle

OrgleNew MemberMember

Not sure of the scale but the first one resembles naja grass due to its sporadic flat leaf growth that grows at its joints.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The first is clearly not Hornwort. It does appear closer to some type of Guppy grass that has been used as food by some fish.

10. OP
    OP
    Leigh Muckey

Thanks for the help gang!