Noob has question on soft coral

1. scottjones Initiate Member

Hey folks--i'm thinking about getting an eclipse system 6 6gal. setup and was going to do the soft coral pack from petco. Was wondering what i should use as far as substrate and if an air pump was needed right off the bat. It's listed on petco.com, soft-coral pack and the mushroom coral pack were the two i was considering (either/or...don't know if it will be big enough for both).

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The 6 gallon Eclipse lighting won't be sufficient for any corals IMO. You should have power compacts at a minimum for corals. You don't need an air pump for a marine tank, but you'll need a lot more flow than what you would get with the Eclipse tank.

If you're really interested in an all in one setup, I'd recommend a Nanocube or Biocube. Here's a link to the Nanocube, as you can see there are 3 different sizes to choose from. Any of these would be fine for soft corals. :)
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+10677&pcatid=10677

On another note, I would be hesitant to order any marine package from Petco... JMO. I have yet to see any healthy livestock in a store, and the online packages seem expensive to me.

3. smileyfish Member Member

liveaquaria.com and bluezooaquatics.com ive ordered from and have had better service than petco.com with live stock. I wouldnt order fish though unless you really want to. Mushrooms are nice because theyre extremely easy to keep, look nice, and grow like crazy. BUT the problem is they sting any corals they touch. Zoanthids have the same good qualities and basically no bad qualities. They are expensive but if you invest in one small rock it will grow over the surrounding area. If you had a specific budget in mind for corals i could put together a couple lists. But of course everyone has their personal tastes but there are some corals that everyone loves.