Nonschooling fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Tiny goatfish, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

So, I have a 55 gallon planted community tank and I'm looking for some nice fish that don't need schools/shoals I'm open to any opitions :).
    Heres the stock:
    1 dwarf gourami
    5 cherry barbs (going to get a more)
    6 salt and pepper Corys (going to get more)
    1 bristlenose pleco

im also wondering if a bumblebee goby would maybe do fine in that setup, because I really like them and a store near my sisters gymnastics has them (freshwater). I do not want platys, other then that I am completely open to any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch,
    Tiny Goatfish
    :) :)

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do the bumblebee gobies unless you are 100% on the species type.
    They also would probably be outcompeted for food by the pleco....so no.
    How about a type of dwarf cichlid? (not a ram with that type of cory, they need a higher temp)

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You can try dwarf cichlids such as German Blue Ram, Bolivian Ram, Kribensis, Laetacara Curviceps or rainbow cichlids. Or honey, pearl, opaline or blue gourami. A paradise fish or angelfish would also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The rams wouldn't work with that type of cory since they need a higher temp. Neither would the angel.
    I would go rainbow cichlid personally.

5. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Thanks a lot for the SUPER speedy answers :), I mean I just posted it :).
    i'll look up those fish thanks! I'm still open to suggestions.
    :)

6. Dom90

Yea I just saw non-schooling fish and that's what I came up with.

7. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Also I forgot to mention I would like fish that CAN be kept with others of its kind just don't NEED more then one, I'm still open with fish that can't be with others of its kind tho. It to bad the gobys won't work, I guess I'll just have to convince my parents that I NEED a new tank (as sone as I have money).
    :) :)

8. Dom90

9. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Don't african butterfly fish need live food. I'm not really into feeding live food....
    im also going to start a list of possible fish.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions

10. Dom90

I'm not sure, I think TexasDomer has one.

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I do have one! I feed live crickets a few times a week, but otherwise I alternate between bloodworms and mysis shrimp, with flakes offered (and often eaten!) every day with the frozen food. I have to hand feed mine - quite a fun experience! But they require warmer water too, so they wouldn't work well with your cories.

I second Kribensis! Very beautiful fish, and can handle as low as 76 F water.

12. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I have a ABF that lives on freeze dried krill and flakes. I give it crickets occasionally. I also feed the tank it is in frozen blood worms and shrimp and he eats those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

14. Granamyr

Granamyr Valued Member Member

How about a golden dwarf cichlid a pair or trio of those should look really nice in there.

15. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Thanks for all the suggetions :). I will reaserch all these fish now.
    so ABF are a no no cause they need warmer water? My temp is about 79 degrees F. I'm still open to more suggetions! :) :)

16. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

ABFs are fine in 79 F, but that's too warm for the cories you have. You could lower your tank to 76 or 77 F, and that would work for both the ABF and the cories. But much lower wouldn't be healthy for the ABF and higher wouldn't be healthy for the cories. There are warm water cories that would work better, such as sterbai and aeneus.

17. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Okay, so does it 2 degrees really make a differnce? I'm going to lower the temp anyway cause I want them to be happy little Corys :). I already have the salt and peppers or I would get a warmer type Cory.
    (I don't mean to be rude just wondering :))

its nice to know that I could still get a ABF if I decide to, but I haven't had time to reaserch them yet.

Any way I have a few questions about a few of the suggested fish.

Kribenisis: it seems like they might be a bit to aggressive if they decide to breed, does anyone here have a breeding pair in a community tank? Can kribenisis only be kept together if they are pairs?

Laetacara curviceps: I really like these guys and something I read said that they could be kept with others of their species not in a breeding pair, is that true?

Rainbow cichlids:they seem pretty cool, but same question as above cause I don't think I'll be to good at telling male from female....

For all of the above, it seems like these guys might be large enough to eat my itty bitty Corys.. And I really like my Corys so...anyone have input if they would?

Gouramis: I have only reaserched the honey so far, but my DG is pretty aggressive and I've heard mixing gouramis isnt a good idea.

Thanks for all the suggetions so far.
    Tiny Goatfish

18. Dom90

Ok well, I supposedly have a breeding kribensis pair, but the female hasnt laid her eggs yet. They're in my 75g and they havent even really shown aggression yet. But this is to be determined...

19. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If your dwarf is already showing some aggression I wouldn't put any more gourami in there.

20. Dom90

Agreed. Only thing is if you have a lot of hiding spots or if the tank is big enough to accomodate two. Each can claim its own side of the tank etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice