Non Stop Greeness

Tater truck

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's been a while fam everything was going super smooth but I'm stumped ..... I have an oscar that started in a 30 gal it was always crystal clear did water changes every week and half or 2 weeks. Out of nowhere one day it had a green tint to the water within 3 days I couldn't see the back of the tank. I moved her to a 55 gal. For obvious reasons the problem came with.. I've tried; daily water changes, carbon, lights off for 2 weeks, algae killer sauce, clear water sauce, I've even had talks with the darn fish asking her to help where she can the tank will be translucent in 3 days. temp sits at about 79, the only thing that seemed a little out of whack was ph was 8.2 before my water change today I'm not afraid to say I dont check my levels regularly I have another 55 with Africans, a brackish tank with puffer, and the kids tank with random community fish. All my other tanks are CRYSTAL clear what am I missing??????

That's the oscar tank vs my cichlid tank. Cichlid tank gets less attention than the oscar

Tater truck

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is the tank getting natural light from a window or something... Either way a Uv sterilizer should be able to fix that up. Green water won't hurt the fish in
When the issue started it did get some outside light but for the past 4 months none it's in the basement. Like you said fish is fine, healthy, growing has some trouble finding food at times. I'm not real informed on UV sterilizers I actually have one never knew when or how to use it.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks like a bacterial bloom, not an algae bloom (at least to me). Is the tank completely cycled? What are the parameters?

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea I was kinda thinking the same thing but figured it could just be the photo not showing the true tint, or maybe a bit of both even... But whether it's white cloudy water from a bacterial bloom or green cloudy water from an algae bloom, they both live in the water column and the sterilizer would still clear it up... would make sense for why the light isn't fixing it if the main cloudiness is from bacteria.

Tater truck

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To be honest I ran it for month with guppies I bread put the oscar in it she ate them. I like my fish tanks but I'm not a pro with the cycling thing. I did the water tests today ph seemed high at 8.2 ammonia was 0 I dont recall which but I want to say nitrites was a tini bit elevated. So what are the dos and don'ts on the uv sterilizer? I bought a guys aquarium lot he had one in the box it works glows blue how do I use it? I wish I would have taken a picture before I did the water change it's without a doubt green

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom