Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Non Stop Finrot.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bettafishgal, Apr 15, 2019.

1. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I have 3 betta's who all currently have finrot, I no longer have a job and maybe 20$ a week with two in a 1 gal and the other in a 2 gal. Im so ashamed in myself for getting these betta's that I now dont know what to do. They have to share the same siphon, they do have live plants but I really dont know what to do. I just want to make them happy. One of my friends keep them in 0.5 gal and cleans that tank once every three to two months and they have no finrot and have not gotton ick or finrot or ANYTHING! It's so furtrating to keep trying to save my poor children with no results. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME I dont know what to do and I just wanna help them.. Please any suggestions? (They all have heaters and i've been doing 50% water changes everyday for almost a year now.)

2. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Well, what are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Finrot is caused by poor water quality. Fish also are more susceptible to illness when under stress, just like people are.

You should for sure try to save up and upgrade their tanks one by one to at least 2.5 gallons, but ideally 5-10. You'd have to do way over 50% water changes every day to keep the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at good levels in such small tanks. Not to mention how stressful the daily water changes must be on the fish, which could also make them more susceptible to getting sick. Overall it would just make it easier to keep them happy. :) I wish all the best luck to you and your fishy children!

3. oreothingNew MemberMember

4. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I saved up enough to buy a 5 gal, im putting the worst one in their. If I dont do 50%, do I do 90%? Im getting the ammonia nitrite and nitrate as soon as I can.

5. jcblair77Valued MemberMember

Are your tanks filtered? 50% water changes once a week should be okay if the tanks are filtered.
    Definitely upgrade the 1 gallon tanks to 2 - 5 gallons if you can. Otherwise just make sure you have good filtration.

6. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Thanks, I lost the filter for my one gal so I saved up everything I could and bought a filtered 5 gal. 50% once a week?!?!?!?!?! I've heard that 50% once a day would be okay for finrot....?

7. jcblair77Valued MemberMember

Well ultimately it depends on what is causing the fin rot. As someone above mentioned it is most likely poor water quality, but could also be stress. Large daily water changes would probably stress your fish out. Especially if the tanks are not cycled.
    Have you moved your fish into the 5 gallon yet? If not, you should do that as soon as possible. It sounds like you have kept 2 fish in the one gallon? Betta fish should not be kept together and that alone is probably the cause of your fin problem.
    Put them in separate tanks, be sure each tank is filtered, and continue water changes. I personally would not be doing the water changes daily unless the tank is not filtered. I don't see how good bacteria can be established in your tanks with water changes that often.. While they are healing, I would suggest 50% every 2-3 days and once they start to look better you can cut back to once a week.

8. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I understand not to put two bettas in a one gal together, they are 100% Seperate tanks. Im moving him to the 5 gal today.