Non-Pest Type Snails

Brayden515

Hey guys and girls,
So I’ve got some snails and now I’m just fascinated by them and I want more. I want some that are different and won’t become a pest.
I have 2 mystery, 5 nerite, and a Golden Rabbit. What are some other snails you might know of that most people don’t?
P.s. I’ve seen the Black Devil Snails and those are awesome.

NC122606

Hey guys and girls,
So I’ve got some snails and now I’m just fascinated by them and I want more. I want some that are different and won’t become a pest.
I have 2 mystery, 5 nerite, and a Golden Rabbit. What are some other snails you might know of that most people don’t?
P.s. I’ve seen the Black Devil Snails and those are awesome.
How about Apple Snails? Black Devils are awesome!!!

Brayden515

How about Apple Snails? Black Devils are awesome!!!
Aren’t apple snails really similar to Mystery snails? I really want Black Devils, they’re so sick!

Demeter

It took me a surprisingly long time to discover there are many different color forms of ramshorn snails. Now I've got some rather large reds, pinks and blues in my shrimp tote and they look fantastic!

Plus there are giant ramshorns and a wide variety of rabbit snails. I've got a small population of yellow, orange and gold rabbits along with chocolate rabbits but the chocolates aren't doing as well as the others. Trapdoor snails are also around but I've never kept them.

NC122606

Aren’t apple snails really similar to Mystery snails? I really want Black Devils, they’re so sick!
I think the one I was thinking of eats plants so...
Another Rabbit Snail would not hurt at all, they lay 1 egg per 4 - 6 weeks. So they are not crazy.

Brayden515

It took me a surprisingly long time to discover there are many different color forms of ramshorn snails. Now I've got some rather large reds, pinks and blues in my shrimp tote and they look fantastic!

Plus there are giant ramshorns and a wide variety of rabbit snails. I've got a small population of yellow, orange and gold rabbits along with chocolate rabbits but the chocolates aren't doing as well as the others. Trapdoor snails are also around but I've never kept them.
Ramshorn brews like mad though don’t they? And Giant Ramshorn, I will look into those. I just started seeing all the Rabbit Snail colors after I posted this lol my store only has the Goldens. I might pick up another in a different color.

I think the one I was thinking of eats plants so...
Another Rabbit Snail would not hurt at all, they lay 1 egg per 4 - 6 weeks. So they are not crazy.
No plant eaters for me haha
I think I’m either going to get a pair of black devils or a different colored rabbit snail.

NC122606

No plant eaters for me haha
I think I’m either going to get a pair of black devils or a different colored rabbit snail.
Sounds good!
Just to say, Reproduction Rate
Rabbit Snails: 1 Egg every 4 - 6 Weeks
Black Devil Snails: Never (Brackish needed for breeding)

Brayden515

Sounds good!
Just to say, Reproduction Rate
Rabbit Snails: 1 Egg every 4 - 6 Weeks
Black Devil Snails: Never (Brackish needed for breeding)
Yes as long as it’s easily manageable I will give the snails back to LFS. I just don’t want my tank to look wild with hundreds of the guys.

Demeter

For some reason my rams don't go completely crazy. Yes they lay eggs often but I probably remove many of the babies by accident during water changes as it is a bare bottom tote. Plus the pink and blue color morphs are in good demand so it's easy to ship them off

To add for the rabbits, they are not like other snails as they need a male and a female to reproduce. So you will only get babies if you have an already bred adult female or you have both genders.

Brayden515

For some reason my rams don't go completely crazy. Yes they lay eggs often but I probably remove many of the babies by accident during water changes as it is a bare bottom tote. Plus the pink and blue color morphs are in good demand so it's easy to ship them off

To add for the rabbits, they are not like other snails as they need a male and a female to reproduce. So you will only get babies if you have an already bred adult female or you have both genders.
I have a whose bunch of substrate that I’m sure they’d love to take over. I’ll stick with the stuff I know is easy to manage.

Redshark1

My brother bought me a couple of Marisa cornuarietis as he knew I kept a snailarium.

Not knowing about these, it was a surprise to me when they attacked my other snails and bit lumps out of them.

Luckily I noticed and no snails were lost, though it took some time for recovery.

Very cool snails though!

Brayden515

My brother bought me a couple of Marisa cornuarietis as he knew I kept a snailarium.

Not knowing about these, it was a surprise to me when they attacked my other snails and bit lumps out of them.

Luckily I noticed and no snails were lost, though it took some time for recovery.

Very cool snails though!
Woah, that’s good to know! I was really thinking about purchasing them but will research more to see if this happened to anyone else.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• bettas&cories
  • Snails
Replies
Views
bettas&cories
Replies
Views
Asomeone
  • SnailxBetta
  • Snails
Replies