Non-Marble betta changed color?!

Cue

So, my very sweet boy Tyr was originally a black samurai when I bought him, but he eventually became a red samurai as he grew! I’ve never heard of this happening in any other non-marble bettas before and want to know if this happens more often than I realized.

unfortunately he died of dropsy (we euthanized) a couple months ago, and the only picture I have of him is pretty low quality. I’ll include it anyway. This photo was taken when we just noticed his fins were becoming more red, about halfway through his change.

Attachments

• 2F9F0CF2-F36B-4226-90C5-1572260BB5A9.jpeg
    2F9F0CF2-F36B-4226-90C5-1572260BB5A9.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 44

ValkyrieLips

Yep the marbling gene doesn't only exist in marble colored bettas! Pretty neat, do you have any pictures of him after he changed colors?

Cue

Yep the marbling gene doesn't only exist in marble colored bettas! Pretty neat, do you have any pictures of him after he changed colors?
Unfortunately this is the only picture of him I know of. His fins ended up the same red as the streaks in the tip of his tail in this photo, if that helps at all
: P

Cinabar

Pretty much every betta will go through some degree of color change in their lives. Only ones that don't are wild types and ones that have been line-bred for many generations. No such thing as a "purebred" betta, most will have a marble parent somewhere in the line. Yours went through a very dramatic change though! That's very cool

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
e_watson09
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ssnaaiil
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357