Non fish fish Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a 10 gallon planted tank for fancy guppies. I was told shrimp and mystery snails would take care of the algae and clean up. how many do I get of each? Also would cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp be better if I can find them?

2. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Just a FYI if you get shrimp expect to have a sealed tank so they don't run away. And make sure they are not tiny shrimp that the filter will.get. I own a Singapore flower shrimp. He runs away sometimes and I have to get him back into the tank if he falls out.

3. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Although some algae eaters are nice to have around, being worthy in their own right, you should treat them as any other fish, i.e., feeding them directly.
    In a 10 gallon tank, I would suggest that by far the most effective algae remover is you, really, it should only take a few moments.
    As well, guppies do like veg in their diet, so some algae might benefit them.
    Also, given that algae eaters must be fed and any algae removed treated as a bonus, you too can feed yourself with a clear conscience after battling your algae:)-rick

algae wafers are nice with a good hollandaise, btw

4. Jelly Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails are cool to watch, but they honestly make more mess than they clean up and should be fed directly as ricmcc says. They do not really eat algae either, except when they are babies.

Nerite snails however have huge appetites for algae and I've never gotten mine to eat anything else, although the tank gets veggie wafers. I have at least one in every freshwater tank I own. I run my lights 12-16 hr a day to encourage food for my ravenous little friends and I never see a speck of algae in any tank.

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I agree with Ric and Jelly.

The first line of defense against algae is regular maintenance. I use a magnetic cleaner whenever I see the smallest smudge. How long are you leaving your light on for? You may want to limit light exposure to no more than 6-7 hours at a time. I have mine on a timer so that it's on when I'm home from work and shuts off later in the evening.

If you are really interested in invertebrates (which I think are fantastic in their own right), my vote would be for nerite snails. They eat multiple forms of algae, are diligent, and don't have a huge bioload. They can be kept in fresh, brackish, and saltwater, but will not breed in freshwater (so you won't be overrun). Well, you may see eggs, but it is very unlikely they will hatch or survive.

If you are interested in shrimp, Amano and Red Cherries are two excellent types. The red cherries will breed, but Amano (like nerite snails) are unlikely to produce offspring in freshwater that will survive. My amanos keep trying, but to no avail.

6. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm definitely interested in shrimp. How many? I hope to have this Tank planted nicely which I believe will help I will look for nerite snails also. Research says they like company should I get more than one? How many shrimp if I can find them? This Tank sits in front of my window so it gets plenty of light. Also all my water numbers are spot on can I get fish now or do I have to wait because I have dirted tank

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Red Cherry Shrimp are a dime a dozen (I breed them actually), while Amano shrimp will be more expensive. You probably already know this, but the shrimp will not clean the algae off the glass. As far as the number of shrimp, they have almost no bioload to speak of, so numbers aren't a huge issue. I only a keep a few in my display tank and they are quite happy scavenging for fallen fishfood and any existing algae. If you get a bunch and they eat up all your algae, you may end up having to supplement their diet. I would maybe just start with 5 and see how it goes.

I think I may know the source of your algae problem though... your tank is next to a window. While this provides lots of natural light and might look pretty cool, it is often a source of regular algae problems. It can also cause a small tank's temperature to fluctuate throughout the day, which would not be healthy for the fish/invertebrates. I'd consider moving it.