Non Albino Guppies Gave Birth to an Albino Fry ?

Kevinthebreeder
I have a female red grass that I have raised since birth and I mated her with a half blue grass half yellow cobra. She gave birth to 12 fries and one of them seem to be paler than usual.

IMG_20210501_150707_154.jpg

Has anyone experience this before ?

V1K
Any animal can be born albino, either due to random mutation or both parents carrying a recessive allele (not expressed when a dominant allele is present) of the pigmentation gene.

IDKwhattodo
Kevinthebreeder said:
I have a female red grass that I have raised since birth and I mated her with a half blue grass half yellow cobra. She gave birth to 12 fries and one of them seem to be paler than usual.

IMG_20210501_150707_154.jpg

Has anyone experience this before ?
Oh wow that is REALLY rare. Albinos are Born because of genetical mutation that happen randomly so it does rarely happen. Congrats!

emeraldking
It doesn't look like an albino. Yes, it's paler but doesn't have the red eyes. One or both parents might carry a recessive gene for this. Or as already mentioned, a mutation has ocurred. But it's not an albino.
A phenotypical trait that is recessive, doesn't always need to come back phenotypical with both parents carrying the recessive allele. In case, one of the parents (or both) are already a mix that may carry more recessive alleles. one or more of those alleles will take care that a recessive trait may occur again phenotypical in a low number of offspring. But yes, in general it does need the same recessive alleles from both parents to accomplish this.

But if you'd like to give this type of guppy a name, it would be a leucistic guppy. This means, black eyed but no pigmentation in the skin. This is different from albino.

There three kinds of red eyes specimens:
Ocular albinism → light red eyes and no albinism in the skin.
Oculocutane albinism → light red eyes and albinism in the skin.
Lutino → dark red eyes and no albinism in the skin.

pagoda
Wouldn't that youngster be classed as a Platinum?

In some species the Platinum is pretty rare and can command high prices when sold can't they?

emeraldking
pagoda said:
Wouldn't that youngster be classed as a Platinum?

In some species the Platinum is pretty rare and can command high prices when sold can't they?
I need a better picture without too much reflection of the light in order to tell wether this specimen should be classified as being platinum.

Kevinthebreeder
emeraldking said:
It doesn't look like an albino. Yes, it's paler but doesn't have the red eyes. One or both parents might carry a recessive gene for this. Or as already mentioned, a mutation has ocurred. But it's not an albino.
A phenotypical trait that is recessive, doesn't always need to come back phenotypical with both parents carrying the recessive allele. In case, one of the parents (or both) are already a mix that may carry more recessive alleles. one or more of those alleles will take care that a recessive trait may occur again phenotypical in a low number of offspring. But yes, in general it does need the same recessive alleles from both parents to accomplish this.

But if you'd like to give this type of guppy a name, it would be a leucistic guppy. This means, black eyed but no pigmentation in the skin. This is different from albino.

There three kinds of red eyes specimens:
Ocular albinism → light red eyes and no albinism in the skin.
Oculocutane albinism → light red eyes and albinism in the skin.
Lutino → dark red eyes and no albinism in the skin.
Thanks for the information.

Kevinthebreeder
emeraldking said:
I need a better picture without too much reflection of the light in order to tell wether this specimen should be classified as being platinum.

Here's an update of her. Body looks blonde-ish and gravid spot is reddish. Tail is showing yellowish color so its possiboe that it might descended from my male yellow miscariff.

IMG_20210604_182412_062.jpg

emeraldking
Let them grow out more and see how they'll turn out...

Top Bottom