Noise from airstone??

1. Bahamut11 Member Member

I have a Tetra 10 whisper and a tiny little airstone in my 5gallon Betta tank. I have the following airstone in my tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-1-Inch-...QHC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334604627&sr=8-1

The whisper is fine, but the airstone makes a bit of noise and I'm wondering how I can lessen the airstone noise?? I have a gang valve in place to control the pressure. I've heard that wooden airstones are quieter and make finer bubbles. Also, I like the airstone in use because without it, bubbles that don't pop right away form at the top of the tank, and my Marineland Hex Corner filter is working fine.

2. Daac Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure that you can make it that much quieter. Adding a hood may help but other than that you could turn the flow down or something. For the wood airstones, I think they get clogged fast and have to be replaced a lot and can be expensive but I'm not sure.

3. SJ408 Initiate Member

I think you'll always get a buzzing from air pumps. You could try getting the tube that the water is pulled up through to go above the water level, as the air pump will still do it's function.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried unplugging it? Worked like a charm for me - it hasn't made any noise since! :)

5. SJ408 Initiate Member

Lol this actually is a solution. Just turn the air pump off while you are in the room or sleeping, etc. Turn it back on when you're out of the house or the vicinity of the pump. I have an air pump running in my room and do this, as it does get kinda hard to sleep with the buzzing.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's not exactly how I meant it :) But, if you are going to turn it off whenever you are in the room, then you might as well get rid of it. In most applications, the air stone is only for your viewing pleasure.

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:;laughing Kinda like turning the radio up to get rid of noises in the car.... hahahaha

What exactly is the noise that's being made by the airstone?

8. Bahamut11 Member Member

Hard to explain the noise. I cannot hear it when I'm not close to the tank, but I'm concerned that the noise is annoying the fish. I have a Betta and he does not really care for the airstone and he seems more active when it's off. I have unplugged the airpump. Would a bigger tank lessen the noise since the airstone wouldn't be so close to the acrylic? Also, the airstone lays on a mound of rocks. Maybe if I put a tiny ornament over the airstone, that might help??