1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

HERE'S NOEL!!

Attached Files:

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Wow, he's beautiful! ;D

3. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Aww thats a nice piccie - bet you're proud :D

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:D Thanks for the kind words. I do think he is beautiful and he is one of my pride and joys (Azul is the other). They have not met yet. Hencw=e the cardboard between the tanks, The vase I have Noel in holds 3 gallons without the filtration system and the heater. I decided on partial live plants and partial fake, ( Java Moss) So far he seems happy but won't eat for me I have considered getting in touch with the man I bought him from and finding what he was eating before.

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

wow! nice! :)

6. Janmitch22 Member Member

I had to get frozen bloodworms to entice my picky bettas.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Some fish don't eat for a couple of days after being shipped.It's just the stress from being shipped. Offer him a bite about once a day and he will probably decide he's hungry soon ;)
    Carol

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully I am going to send some better pictures of Noel, but I have been having a little trouble so here goes: :-[Nope it didn't work!

9. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:-[

I've tried this 3 times hopefully this will work!!

It looks good.

Shalom,

Rose

Attached Files:

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

yay!! you did it!!! Looking good ;)
    Carol

11. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Wow I like that bowl! Thats pretty funky :D

12. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks! I got it at the Salvation Army and came home and ran it through the steriilazation process twice. It holds about 12 cups the way it is now with all the stuff in it. Noel seems to be really content in it. If he gets to be a REALLY big boy then I suppose he will have to go into a tank like Azul but for now I like the vase. I did really have to look hard for filtration and heating units for it . Finally ended with a 25 watt heater, but all those little 7.5 watt heaters looked like junk and didn't have temperature control.

13. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Take my word for it the little tiny JR. heaters are junk. I've tried them. They have a pre-set temp and mine never worked right from the start.
    Carol

14. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:pI was read ing my entry above about the vase and I don't know what I was thinking of when I said it held 12 cups. It is about 3 gallons befor the stuff goes in. It is about 12 of the measuring cups I use to fill it. He is still very happy although he now has a lid as I heard that they have a real problem with jumping.

Shalom,

Rose :D

15. BettaBuddy ~ Miley Well Known Member Member

He's beautiful!!!!!!!!  Congrats! Miley

i like that too its amazing! he looks very happy and good choice getting a lid! Miley

16. MamaM Member Member

I have a vase just like that and was wondering how it would work for a Betta (with heater & fltration system). Did you use stuff from your other tank to cycle it or how did you do it? (Gives me great ideas).

Does anyone remember those vases with plants on top & fish underneath--I used to know someone who had one. How did those work? (Or didn't they & that's why I don't see them anymore!!!)

17. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Well the vase broke, thank goodness and no they do not work for more than one reason. They are not easy to keep clean and there are very few heaters and filters that work in them. Noel lived in it for 3 or 4 months until Azul died and then he went to the big tank when the vase broke and I got the new tank for Marty.

I do not recommend any less than a 5 gallon cycled and heated tank for a betta. you will notice that I say CYCLED and not just filtered. The tank needs to be cycled before adding the betta.

And no those vases with the plant were nothing more than torture chambers for bettas. The folks that bought them were told not to feed or change the water for the betta. They were told that the betta could eat the plant and the plant would keep the water clean. HA! Bettas eat protein foods and not plants (although they do need peas a couple times a week for digestion's sake) and not to change the water is sentencing the poor fish to living in a sewer.

Rose

18. MamaM Member Member

That's what I was wondering (with the vase/plant thing)--I thought it looked inhumane, but I knew nothing about fish then so I didn't question it (I wish I would have)!!  I saw this in her office when I still worked, over 4 years ago! (she moved, so I can't ask what happened)

Yes, yes, I SO now understand about the whole cycling thing!  ;)  No fish until cycling (I'm so sorry I had to learn the hard way).  BTW--mine is finally cycled!!!  Yay!  My nitrites were negligible yesterday and nitrates at 20--I still did a 10% water change for good measure! I plan to keep an eye on the water for the next few days, and if all is good, I'll get my otos (2-3).

Gee, my birthday's in March and anniversary in May, so get the 5 gal tank for my b'day, cycle the tank, then Betta for the anniv!!!  :D

What is your preferred way to cycle a tank?  I've heard so much about ammonia & Bio-spira (did I spell it right?) I wondered which is preferred.

19. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Ammonia will do for those who either do not have the ability to get Bio-spira financially or choose not to order online if it is not available locally. BUT the easiest on the fish and the owner by far is still Bio-spira. It does cost but you pay for the priviledge of getting your fish right away and not having to worry about weeks of testing and not being sure when it will be done. If you use Bio-spira, you buy the tank and set it up and let it run 24 - 48 hours with the gravel, decoration, plants and all in place. Then after 24 - 48 hours you get the fish you want and start to float the bags in the tank. After you float them for 30 - 45 minutes you open the SHAKE the pouch of Bio-spira very well and open it and pour it in the tank (the whole pouch no matter what size the tank is - you cannot overdose with it). Then you take the fish and start to add a tiny bit of water to the bags until you have doubled the amount of water in the bags and let them sit for about 30 minutes in the bag. Net the fish out of the bags and put into the tank. If you have had your fish in a quarantine tank for a few days ahead of the set-up (probably not unless you have a cycled tank) you can just add the fish immediately after pouring the Bio-spira into the water. Takes longer to type than to do it.

You do not change any of the water in the tank for a full 7 days after you add Bio-spira to allow it to settle into the filter and onto the gravel and let the bacteria multiply and grow. You will see a small ammonia spike but not enough to hurt your fish so do not worry. That is just the bacteria settling into the filter. I love the stuff, but as I said it is expensive. I usually buy from:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15462&inm=1&N=2004+112990+2035

If you order by 9:30am CST it will arrive the next day.

Rose
    :)

20. MamaM Member Member

Gosh, that's amazing (thanks for the link)! It really isn't all that expensive if you weigh the cost of the time & effort you put into cycling the tank other ways!! (For me, I put a heavy price on my time. Even though I am home all the time, I am in full-scale mommy mode and don't get to relax or do "me" things until the kids are in bed. So I would prefer to just relax & enjoy the things I love!) That is DEFINITELY the way I'm going to go next time! :)

I think I must have caught something from y'all in this forum...I think I'm coming down with a case of MTS!!! :D heehee!

Thank you, Rose, for sharing all your knowledge!!
    Sharon