Nocturnal or not

seedy
I've read quite a few articles that say clowns are nocturnal, but mine come out during the day and go to bed by 7:30pm.
How do yours act ?

mumzy50
clowns

HI mine do the same except,they go an hour later than yours.They must be happy in their tank.A lot of people say theirs hardly come out.

Karma_Sea
Mine hides in the back of the filter with the pleco all day and as soon as the lights go out he starts snail hunting.

fins
I read on live aquaria that there are TRUE nocturnal loaches and clowns aren't one of them.... so they are as active in the day as any other fishies you can have mine are....

Butterfly
They are very intelligent loaches. With enough hiding/sleeping places available to them they will learn your routine and come out to see you.
When I had mine I got up at 6am every morning and they would come out and eat shrimp pellets from my hand for breakfast then they would go back into their cave until later. when my schedule changed they still got up at 6am for shrimp pellets
Carol

Jo3olous
I just got one and when he sits under my log or bridge he will look so still youd think he's a statue at night. I'll check to see what he's up to today when I get home, but when I put him in yesterday he was playing with my barbs. He has yet to confront my redtail shark, and likewise my red tail shark has not bothered him~

04_si
I just got one and when he sits under my log or bridge he will look so still youd think he's a statue at night. I'll check to see what he's up to today when I get home, but when I put him in yesterday he was playing with my barbs. He has yet to confront my redtail shark, and likewise my red tail shark has not bothered him~

Are you planning a tank size upgrade soon?

you're at about 46" of fish in your 20 gallon long. unless an albino tinfoil barb is A LOT smaller than a regular tinfoil barb. but even without the 13" tinfoil and 12" clown loach you're at 21" of fish

Jo3olous
Are you planning a tank size upgrade soon?

you're at about 46" of fish in your 20 gallon long. unless an albino tinfoil barb is A LOT smaller than a regular tinfoil barb. but even without the 13" tinfoil and 12" clown loach you're at 21" of fish

yeah I have to, I'm almost done funding a 75G tank, I was ready to get a 55 but with the size the loach will get and me wanting at least 1 more, gonna need to go bigger. The Albino tinfoil is currently 1.5 inches, I believe they get bigger than tigers but not quite like a regular tinfoil? not sure about this

Jo3olous
I'm pretty clear right now that for adult sizes, I'm way over stocked. But in their current state it's somewhat fine, none of them are > 2 inches except the loach and the redtail, theyre about 2.5

chas_3rd
just blew by to see the topics
Just wondering who has EVER had a 12 " clown loach my largest was only about 5"? or so.
a 12 inch one would be cool..

anyways thx guys n gals for all the info you've posted

04_si
yeah I have to, I'm almost done funding a 75G tank, I was ready to get a 55 but with the size the loach will get and me wanting at least 1 more, gonna need to go bigger. The Albino tinfoil is currently 1.5 inches, I believe they get bigger than tigers but not quite like a regular tinfoil? not sure about this

good to hear! I wish I had the space for a 75 gallon but I live in a tiny condo.

The only place/time ive seen a Clown Loach bigger than 4-5" is in one of the LFS they have one that is honestly about 15" and a couple between 8" and 12"

When I count up my inches of fish, I add 5" for each of my Clown Loaches because I know if they get bigger than that I'm going to have to trade them in

Butterfly
My largest Clown Loaches were 7 & 8 inches when I lost them. We moved and they didn't make the move well.
There are also pictures of 14 in clowns at loaches.com and they are still growing.
Carol

Jo3olous
yea loaches get so huge hopefully mine make it to that size so I can hug them. Plus if they don't I will be pretty annoyed with the rather large tank I'll have paid for. BTW as an update my loach is incredibly active with the tiger barbs (identity crisis prob) and the tinfoil loves to 'try' fitting in, probably because he's the same size as the barbs right now. I get the impression my redtail shark fears the loach, theyre both about 2.5 inches, but I know for fact the redtail shark chases all the tigers out of his driftwood when they invade, however the loach can get body to body close with the shark and the shark doesn't seem to care at all.
???? ????

***edit*** and it is an ALBINO Tinfoil. I am still not sure if they have the same growth rate as regular tinfoils

horseyg
I have one clown loach, and he always hides during the day...at least every time I come in the room. If I go to move the rock he is hidding in, or the pipes, he swims perfectly to stay right out of my sight, in the same relative position to the hidding spot as before...it's kinda funny. He's started getting better though...he is out more than when I first got him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Loachlover357
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Canadian Fish
  • Catfish
Replies
Views