No Top With Led Dangerous?

Jed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just ordered a Finnex planted plus hcl. I’m putting it on my 10 gal. Do I need a glass or plastic lid on top or can I just leave it uncovered? I was worried about the light being damaged. Also if I need a lid what do I use and where do I get it, trying not to spend another 30+ on a lid ‍♂

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a airstone that causes some splashing, should I consider removing it or is that ok as well?
I run sponge filters that disturb the surface and bubbles pop i h]just wipe my lights during my WC's. You should put a small corner sponge filter instead of an airstone that way you can let it run for a month or so in your tank and it'll be seeded to set up another tank if you need to quickly like a QT or hospital tank. All an airstone does is make bubbles. But you can just lay your light across the top and more towards the front to avoid any direct splashes

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I replaced my 20g kit hood with an Aqueon glass hood from Petco for under $20. I ran a week with nothing under my lights, and spray from my bubbles was minimal. I was concerned about corrosion on any internal parts from excess humidity and moisture so went for the glass hood. That's just me. I don't really think it would be too harmful.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had Aqueon glass lids at first but found it be a pain to clean them every WC and one day just ditched them all and went topless and never looked back. But yes they are pretty reasonably priced at the chain stores. I think the lid for my 10 ran me about 12-15$

Jed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I run sponge filters that disturb the surface and bubbles pop i h]just wipe my lights during my WC's. You should put a small corner sponge filter instead of an airstone that way you can let it run for a month or so in your tank and it'll be seeded to set up another tank if you need to quickly like a QT or hospital tank. All an airstone does is make bubbles. But you can just lay your light across the top and more towards the front to avoid any direct splashes
Funny you say that I actually just set one up the other day but it’s diy with an air stone still connected. I also never thought of the seeding aspect, I’ve had to set up a nano hospital table before and always worried about ammonia spikes.
I replaced my 20g kit hood with an Aqueon glass hood from Petco for under $20. I ran a week with nothing under my lights, and spray from my bubbles was minimal. I was concerned about corrosion on any internal parts from excess humidity and moisture so went for the glass hood. That's just me. I don't really think it would be too harmful.
I had Aqueon glass lids at first but found it be a pain to clean them every WC and one day just ditched them all and went topless and never looked back. But yes they are pretty reasonably priced at the chain stores. I think the lid for my 10 ran me about 12-15$
If I were to buy a glass top would that effect par of the light? I’m considering either that or having Lowe’s cut me a few pieces of plexi to fit around the light.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers or the generic equivalent HDX brand from Home Depot to clean my glass lids. Works well for me.

If you want a glass lid for a 10g, look for a Aqueon Versa-Top glass lid. They are made for all sizes of aquariums.

They come with an opaque plastic edge that slips on the back glass, to bridge the gap between it and the rim. It can be notched out to make room for your filter, heater cord, airline tube, etc.

A glass lid wont be $30.

Petco has them on sale for $12-13, plus you get 10% off if you order online and pick up in store.

Ive got a Versa-Top glass lid for our Aqueon 10g, and never had a problem with it.

Jed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers or the generic equivalent HDX brand from Home Depot to clean my glass lids. Works well for me.

If you want a glass lid for a 10g, look for a Aqueon Versa-Top glass lid. They are made for all sizes of aquariums.

They come with an opaque plastic edge that slips on the back glass, to bridge the gap between it and the rim. It can be notched out to make room for your filter, heater cord, airline tube, etc.

A glass lid wont be $30.

Petco has them on sale for $12-13, plus you get 10% off if you order online and pick up in store.

Ive got a Versa-Top glass lid for our Aqueon 10g, and never had a problem with it.
I actually just bought that and got the 10% off, it seems to work well but it somehow gets foggy? When on max my light knocks always the condensation though. I’m hoping it does the job

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would get an GFCI adapter if your aquarium stuff is not already connected to a GFCI outlet. They can be bought on Amazon pretty cheap (~$20 or less). Talking from experience, it's pretty easy to accidentally knock a LED light into the tank during maintenance if there's no lid. Good way to electrocute yourself... With GFCI adapter the power should go off immediately if there's a short like that. Everyone should have one. And all your aquarium equipment should plug into one .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom