No Snails-> Bad

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so I apparently can’t keep aquatic snails alive. I’ve killed 2 nerite snails, (one was accumulation) and probably a dozen pest snails (ram and trumpet in particular). Problem is, I have diatom issues in one tank, and 4 pea puffers in another tank. They are quite happy scarfing blood worms but i know it’s bad as a staple food. So now what?

puffer boi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
do you have any smallish shrimp you could feed them...
blood worms are like candy to them, so you shouldn’t give too much

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t call it a bad staple food. Protein is protein regardless if it’s a snail, blood worm, or shrimp.

You’re lucky if your puff will eat frozen food as they can be picky. Other puffers require snails so that their beaks grind down. Pea puffers don’t have this problem and instead suck snails out of the shell than crushing it. Snails are their preferred food but blood worms are okay too. My puffer gets blood worms most of the time. Snails when I find one in another tank.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Diatoms shouldnt cause problems for snails afaik have you ever ised any copper based meds

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
Diatoms shouldnt cause problems for snails afaik have you ever ised any copper based meds
Nope. It’s all my tanks. It’s weird. They don’t last. Only thing I add to the tanks is prime.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2211Nighthawk said:
Nope. It’s all my tanks. It’s weird. They don’t last. Only thing I add to the tanks is prime.
Try putting some in a bucket of treated tap water if they still die theres something in your water

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard water and high ph is what snails need. As stated above calcium is good for healthy shell growth.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
Try putting some in a bucket of treated tap water if they still die theres something in your water
I’ll try that.
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
What is your water parameters? Snails need minerals like calcium in order to build shells and stay healthy.
Dave125g said:
Hard water and high ph is what snails need. As stated above calcium is good for healthy shell growth.
It’s an immediant death. Like, within a week. I have a pair of land snails and I can clearly see shell growth on them but even they don’t grow *that* fast that a week with low calcium will kill them. My ph sits at about 8 point something in my tanks.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess is hardness is not the issue.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bloodworms are not a bad staple food for puffers or any fish for that matter. They are very nutritious.

But all puffers should be offered snails from time to time at least.

Possibly copper could be contaminating your tap water from the pipes in your house. I would try keeping the snails in a heated bucket with bottled water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom