No Snails-> Bad Important

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by 2211Nighthawk, Apr 12, 2018.

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

so I apparently can’t keep aquatic snails alive. I’ve killed 2 nerite snails, (one was accumulation) and probably a dozen pest snails (ram and trumpet in particular). Problem is, I have diatom issues in one tank, and 4 pea puffers in another tank. They are quite happy scarfing blood worms but i know it’s bad as a staple food. So now what?

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

do you have any smallish shrimp you could feed them...
    blood worms are like candy to them, so you shouldn’t give too much

3. qchris87

qchris87 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn’t call it a bad staple food. Protein is protein regardless if it’s a snail, blood worm, or shrimp.

You’re lucky if your puff will eat frozen food as they can be picky. Other puffers require snails so that their beaks grind down. Pea puffers don’t have this problem and instead suck snails out of the shell than crushing it. Snails are their preferred food but blood worms are okay too. My puffer gets blood worms most of the time. Snails when I find one in another tank.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Diatoms shouldnt cause problems for snails afaik have you ever ised any copper based meds

5. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Nope. It’s all my tanks. It’s weird. They don’t last. Only thing I add to the tanks is prime.

6. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Try putting some in a bucket of treated tap water if they still die theres something in your water

7. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

What is your water parameters? Snails need minerals like calcium in order to build shells and stay healthy.

8. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Hard water and high ph is what snails need. As stated above calcium is good for healthy shell growth.

9. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I’ll try that.
    It’s an immediant death. Like, within a week. I have a pair of land snails and I can clearly see shell growth on them but even they don’t grow *that* fast that a week with low calcium will kill them. My ph sits at about 8 point something in my tanks.

10. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

My guess is hardness is not the issue.

11. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

Bloodworms are not a bad staple food for puffers or any fish for that matter. They are very nutritious.

But all puffers should be offered snails from time to time at least.

Possibly copper could be contaminating your tap water from the pipes in your house. I would try keeping the snails in a heated bucket with bottled water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice