No-salt seasoning mix for those of us who have to watch sodium intake!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, so my very first post in my blog doesn't have anything to do with fish.

I have a multitude of health issues and really need to carefully watch my sodium intake. Unfortunately, I get salt cravings really badly and sometimes cave. Of course, then I pay the piper for that giving in to the craving. Bad girl, bad girl!

So..... did a bunch of research on no-salt mixes. Found out that the "fake" salt is just as bad for me personally as the real deal. Salt substitutes usually contain potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride as found in salt. The salt substitute makes you produce saliva much in the same way salt does. However, the potassium does leave a bitter aftertaste like saccharin.

Did further research and came across the following recipe for making my own salt-free blend of spices. And it's absolutely delicious! Very subtle, really lovely aroma, and healthy.

Seasoning Shaker
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 tsp. basil, ground
1 tsp. marjoram, ground
1 tsp. thyme, ground
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sage

Combine all seasonings in a salt shaker with large holes. Use the shaker in cooking or at the table to season food to taste.

A word of caution though for persons with ulcers or colitis, cayenne pepper and black pepper should be omitted since they can cause an excess secretion of acid in the stomach.

Enjoy!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's an excellent mix. Really sounds good.

Our patients have to restrict their salt as well as potassium so salt substitutes are not a choice for them. We usually recommend Mrs. Dash which is a spice mixture similar to yours
Carol

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad you guys like the idea, hopefully, you'll like the actual seasoning mix!

Oh, used it tonight on baked fish and it was delightful. It seems that the food enhances a specific spice from the mix. Pretty interesting.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This sounds really good. I think I'll try it with out the curry. Not crazy about the taste of that.

Is sea salt an option for you?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've tried sea salt, but haven't found the same pleasure from that that I do regular salt. So, now I use my container of sea salt to sprinkle on the slugs in the garden. Don't think they really care for the taste either.

Oh, and the cool thing about this seasoning mix is that it doesn't have to be the spices I've listed. You can really use almost anything to suit your taste buds....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom