No QT next best thing?

1. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay so short story my dad doesn't want me getting a QT for my 55 gallon tank. What would be the next best thing to do? Just stock slowly? I was thinking add fish every 2-4 weeks

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Could you just use a rubber maid tote with a small filter? Since that would be very temp and take up less room than a tank, plus you could just bleach the tote and then re-use it once you have all of your fish :)

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Buy from a reputable store, not a chain store. I would get an air stone, pump, and a plastic tote for qt at the very least. Feed only once per week and change water frequently. At least that will help you identify any sick fish.

4. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Dads totally against any kind of QT says waste of time and he never did have one and everything was okay. I tried to persuade him but no luck. If anything happens to my stock he said he'll replace everything and get me a QT (hope it won't come to this).

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Well if you can't get a QT you can't get a QT. Stocking slowly isn't really a help against a disease wiping out the tank. The very last fish you add, could be the one that carries a disease. But you should stock slowly so as not to add too much bioload all at once, which could result in a mini cycle.

6. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

You may want to consider temporarily holding the new fish in breeding net in the main tank.

While it won't do a lot to prevent disease spreading it will at least keep the new arrivals where they will be easier to observe for any problems before they are allowed to fully mingle with the rest of the inhabitants.

You also should be extra vigilant when picking out new fish. Make sure you aren't bringing home fish that are sick or have been sharing a tank with other sick fish and that will at least lower the chance of introducing illness to your main tank.

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Transporting your new fish home in a box will help with stress, proper acclimation, and adding new fish while the others enjoy a snack on the other side if the tank. IMO you're more likely to have a breakout of sickness from the fish being stressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Some people do a pre medication soak with new fish then add to tank.

9. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys I will drip acclimate them and will be very vigilant while observing the fish while at my LFS (which is reputable) and in my tank for awhile.