No Nitrites After A Month

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Frani, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Frani

Frani New Member Member

I have been cycling my 20 gal tank for the last 4 weeks and have not seen any changes, my nitrites are .0 my nitrates are .0 my ph is 7.4 and my ammonia is .25 I have 4 guppies and a few live plants. I have been doing 10% water changes about every 3 days

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

?How big is the tank, and what kind of filter and media are you using? What kind of live plants do you have?

3. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

I have 3 Amazon sword plants, a power filter (not sure specifically what model it is) and my tank is 24” long 16” high and the width is 13”

Also, I’m using mechanical media

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like your doing a good job keeping the ammonia low and your fish safe. With our "modern" way of sterilizing our drinking water it seems like it takes longer to get a cycle then it used to. You could try one of the bacteria boosters to help or just continue as you are and it will come.

5. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

Ok, thanks! I was starting to worry

6. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

I’m not sure if I have my tank cycled or not because I am testing for nitrates and I am not sure if I have 5 or 0 the color is hard to read from the chart. My nitrite is .0 and my ammonia is .25 but I am pretty sure nitrates are 5 I put in bio spira about two weeks ago.

7. k

kim&marc New Member Member

If you have healthy plants that are growing they will be using the ammonia nitrites & nitrates. Have you done any water changes and if so about how much. It could just be that the plants are using the little waste the Guppies are making and you won't get a reading

8. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

I’ve been doing about 20-25% once every week because the ammonia was at .0 for a while and it just stays at .25 now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice