No Nitrates!! Ytho???

Cosfish

I'm soooo confused... I am new to tanks/fish, but I understand the cycle process now. I have been running my 20 gallon with 7 small Glofish since September 30. I fight ammonia (1-2ppm) and done water changes every day to every other day to once a week, testing water daily and changing it up so that I can try process of elimination with the ppm. I use Prime daily and have reduced feeding. I test the water every day and write it down. 0 ppm Nitrites and 0 Nitrates. I've added API Quick Start and even tried Fritz Turbo Start. I noticed the water getting cloudy this week, without changing the water since last week. I have ammonia reducing filter media and I did a google search and seen cloudiness could be bacterial bloom. Is my tank cycled or starting? It's annoying me! I have another smaller tank that is cycled with Turbo a little after a week. I had high ammonia and Nitrites. I just did a full water change and its now it's 0 ppm everything except Nitrates. It's at 5.0 ppm for Nitrates in my smaller tank. Back to my 20 gallon tank, I am fighting with... I have a slime coat on the decorations. Does that mean anything towards it being cycled? My fish are fine, not stressed and the water is more clear now that that I just did a 50% water change. It's been months... What gives? Can you over do it with adding Turbo Start? Should I get more? Any info is appreciated.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Do you use cartridges, if you do, when you change them they could be restarting the cycle.

mattgirl

The first thing i would do is remove the ammonia reducing pad. while cycling a tank you really don't want anything in there removing the ammonia. Have you tested your pH level in this tank? Is it holding at 7 or more?

I don't think you can over do it with bottled bacteria.

Cosfish

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Do you use cartridges, if you do, when you change them they could be restarting the cycle.
Yeah I do use but have not replaced them yet

mattgirl said:
The first thing i would do is remove the ammonia reducing pad. while cycling a tank you really don't want anything in there removing the ammonia. Have you tested your pH level in this tank? Is it holding at 7 or more?

I don't think you can over do it with bottled bacteria.
It's reducing. It doesn't fully remove it but I can take them out and try

mattgirl

Personally I don't recommend adding prime other than what is added while doing a water change. If the ammonia goes up close to one change out enough water to get it back down to as close to .25 as you can. Add enough prime during the water change to treat the full volume of the tank not just the amount needed to treat the amount of water you are changing. Once cycled and there is no longer an ammonia reading just add enough for the amount of water being changed.

When cycling a tank I don't think it is a good idea to use any kind of chemical filtration. This is why I've recommended you remove the ammonia reducing media. If may be removing something your bacteria needs to grow. We can't know that for a fact but in this case it is better not to take a chance. Something is slowing this cycle down. This may be it. We can't know until it is removed.

Chuelsman

I've had issues with cloudiness after water changes with my 10gal. I had cycling issues similar to what you're going through. I feel the frustration Cos. What I've deduced is that being a helicopter parent to the cycle process and tank produces the results you've been describing. Been there, and I'm guilty of it. I know you want it to be right and finally get it working as it should. My advice is to have patience and practice the KISS method. It took my little tank 2 months to finally get a stable and cycled. Ammonia + nitrites = 0 and less than 20 nitrogen for the week. It'll happen...Eventually. keep up with water changes when necessary, wait it out.

The way I had the cloudy water explained to me is that your tank is constantly growing beneficial bacteria. When you do a water change you kill some. When your tank is new it has to overcompensate for the lost ones. When your tank is well established you'll have a large beneficial bacteria colony and a water change won't affect it as drastically. The cloudiness after water changes will lessen over time. -- speaking from experience, not science. Fact check would be nice.

Good luck. Sounds like you're gonna be a great caretaker!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom