No nitrate

GreenPhantom
Usually the nitrate in my tank is 10-20 ppm. I didn't do any water changes for 2 weeks because I wasn't home but my mom fed the fish daily. Now the nitrate is 0. I am using the apI master test kit. Is this normal?

Advertisement
Chanyi
It's normal for the API NO3 test to read 0. Need to beat bottle #2 to death and shake for 3 days for it to give anything that resembles an "accurate" (ballpark at best) NO3 value.

mattgirl
Usually the nitrate in my tank is 10-20 ppm. I didn't do any water changes for 2 weeks because I wasn't home but my mom fed the fish daily. Now the nitrate is 0. I am using the apI master test kit. Is this normal?
I see you have a 15 gallon planted tank with just a betta, a clown pleco and a nerite snail. It is very possible to have almost negligible nitrates if a tank has a low bio-load and the plants are growing well. Are your plants growing well? Plants will use the ammonia. If they are doing that then the ammonia won't get cycled through to nitrates.

Having no nitrates isn't a problem as long as you also have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

oldsalt777

Hello Green...

This isn't routine, no. I would perform the normal water change you do and not fret about one test. I can give you a suggestion for your tank, though. Small tanks 20 gallons and smaller really need a 50 percent water change done every few days. Larger tanks can generally go a bit longer between water changes, about 10 days. But, you still need to change half the tank water. If you're not already, gradually work up to this point. Then, you won't need to take the time to test the tank water.

Old

Fljoe
I see you have a 15 gallon planted tank with just a betta, a clown pleco and a nerite snail. It is very possible to have almost negligible nitrates if a tank has a low bio-load and the plants are growing well. Are your plants growing well? Plants will use the ammonia. If they are doing that then the ammonia won't get cycled through to nitrates.

Having no nitrates isn't a problem as long as you also have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
I agree with mattgirl, as long as you still have no ammonia reading don’t worry about the nitrate reading in a planted tank. Your plants will absorb nitrates, especially if your mom didn’t actually feed your fish while you were gone. Lol just saying!

BevM
I have a 55gallon, heavily planted and a light bio load. I never show any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. It was started with a seeded sponge filter from my daughter's tank. I worried about it for a while, kept up with regular water changes and so far there are no problems. My tank has been up and running since November 2018.

Advertisement
GreenPhantom
My 15 gallon tank and 29 gallon tank have no nitrate. I shake the tubes a lot. Usually I change 30% of the water once a week and clean one of the filters with dechlorinated water bi-weekly.
There has only been no nitrate since I started cleaning the filters more frequently. Before there was normally 5-10 ppm no matter how many water changes I did.
I have been experimenting with growing millet underwater and they grow really fast so maybe they use the nutrients.
The 60 gallon tank has somewhere between 5-10 ppm. The only plant in there is a sweet potato though. I change 30% whenever nitrate gets to 10 ppm or above, usually every 1-2 weeks.
The water is tested once a week for all tanks.

kcopper
It isn't just the test tubes that need shaking. Solution 2 needs to be shaken like mad prior to adding it to the test tube. If you don't shake it enough, it will read zero even if your water has 100ppm nitrate.

Momgoose56
It isn't just the test tubes that need shaking. Solution 2 needs to be shaken like mad prior to adding it to the test tube. If you don't shake it enough, it will read zero even if your water has 100ppm nitrate.
Solution#2 needs to be shaken vigorously for 30 seconds then the test tube with both solutions needs to be shaken for another 60 seconds. Then wait an additional 5 minutes to read results. No need to bang, slam or whack the solutions. Just shake.

Chanyi
Solution#2 needs to be shaken vigorously for 30 seconds then the test tube with both solutions needs to be shaken for another 60 seconds. Then wait an additional 5 minutes to read results. No need to bang, slam or whack the solutions. Just shake.

Tape bottle #2 onto a reciprocating saw and run it for 60 seconds

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Aquashrimp42
Replies
Views
Scampy
Replies
Views
Sputnik