No More Blood Parrots For Me

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by BlueSubmarine, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

Yesterday I had to do one of the hardest things Ive had to do since Ive been keeping fish. I had to euthanize my 4 yr blood parrot as she never improved from her year long "illness" if we can call it that.

I have to say the parrot was probably my favorite fish. loved the unique personality and how they seem to recognize you and interact with others in the tank.

That being said, now that im looking back, I dont think I could ever buy another one and support the market. When I got mine, I remember hearing about some of the negative things we all know about - deformities, how prone to illnesses they are, how people advocate it is almost cruel how they came to be etc. Despite that, I decided to give it a go thinking maybe they just needed a little more attention to keep happy and everything would be ok.

Long story short, after owning one I got to see many of its physical shortcomings (before the illnesses) and how much of a disadvantage she had when in came to eating and trying to reproduce in comparison to other fish.

As far a health goes, i have never had a fish so prone to diseases. This shocked me because i stay on top of my tanks and clean them regularly. So I never have any issues aside from your occasional fluke.

However, after the first year I started to have issues with the BP. She got ick twice (without the introduction of new fish or stress), several fungus infections, swim bladder, loss of appetite due to intestinal problems, and towards the end she could not swim other than in circles and always floating a top of the tank despite trying to swim down as hard as she could.

For this reason as much as I enjoyed her, I dont think I could get myself to get another parrot or encourage others to do so.

Anyone else had a similar experience here?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry that you had to put her down. Personally, I have 2 Blood Parrots myself. I've never had problems with them (except one murdering his friend).
    I find them as very unique fish, from time to time I see mine moving around the decorations to mark their territory.

Based on my experience, everyone has a certain fish that they have bad luck keeping. In my case I've never had success keeping Panda cories alive and I guess in your case it's Blood Parrots.

Are you planning to replace (with another species)her or are you just to stick with your current stocking? (What's your current stocking if I may ask?)

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like you had a bad experience. Parrots do seem more prone (anecdotally) to swim bladder disease but these guys are such dumpster fires when it comes to genetics that it's hard to say for sure. I've kept them in the past and other than a bacterial infection, mine were very healthy and did well. I had to rehome them because my tank was just too small for 2 of them and 2 severums together (as well as a few other cichlids in there) and chose to stick with the severums instead.

4. OP
    OP
    BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

Thank you for the comments. All of the bad stuff aside, they are very cool fish to keep. Like I mentioned earlier, probably my favorite fish so far.

I think im just apprehensive now that Ive had one and reading up about their common issues while trying to do research to try and help her.

Im thinking about adding another cichlid soon to keep the balance in my tank (55gal). I currently have a south/ central american tank going on.

2 firemouths (not paired), a female convict and a bristlenose.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I know you are a bit gunshy...but I'd go with another blood parrot since you liked them so much. If not, i'd stick with the CA theme you've got going on for the cichlids. Maybe a male sajica or a rainbow. One of the color variant Jack Dempseys might also be nice.

But I'd have to go with another bloody parrot.

6. B

Braydenmm22 Valued Member Member

I have a blood parrot with a couple other cichlids in a 90 gallon tank and he's a great pet. He's also very aggressive and has killed 5 fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice