No Mbuna/johanni forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I noticed there is an option for the yellow lab under cichlids but nothing for the Johanni? Is this because they are rare? I got lucky and picked up an Electric Blue for $6 and was looking into getting at least 4 more(females) as well as some other Mbuna for my 55. Definitely going to overstock,may toss 5 yellow labs in with em also. Was also looking at Acei(saw a couple nice ones the other day at the LFS for cheap in the assorted tank....around$5-$6 each maybe) and/or Rusty(Iodotropheus Sprengerae).

This tank will most likely run 2 over the back filters rated for at least a 70g or more(was thinking 2 Emperor 400's) and will be a slate cave setup. I was thinking about live plants as well but wasn't sure if Mbunas were gonna tear em up.

Ok, wheres my Mbuna experts? hehe

Edit: Was just going over this setup on Aqadvisor.com. Anyone think this tool is accurate? Or am I wasting time playing with 20,000 different combinations? lol

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Electric Blues are probably the second most popular Mbuna next to Electric Yellows, so they are anything but rare. I would say 5 Johanni, 5 Yellow Lab & 5 Acei would be about right for 55gal. You could swap one of those for 5 Rustys but I think it would probably be a little too much to have 5 of each. 4 of each (1M-3F) would be better if you want to have all of those species in the tank. Lots of rockwork, excellent filtration & good water change practices would be mandatory.

I don't put any faith in Aqadvisor. There are way too many variables for a computer progaram to take into account. Ask Sirdarksol, he will be happy to point out the systems downfalls for you. I'm with him 110%, I don't like Aqadvisor at all.

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I was just curious as to why I couldn't find them on the descriptions on the front page or as a topic in the Cichlid forums.

I may drop down to 4 each just to get the variety in there(1m:3f each).My PH in the area is pretty good for Cichlids(8.0). As far as Blue Johanni are concerned, I have read the females look almost like yellow labs? Also, is there a way to order these online or should I stick to trying to get males and females through the LFS's? And how many can I add max of each at time? I don't want one species to stake claim on the entire tank then have aggression issues when trying to add a second species a few weeks down the road.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The female Johanni is usually a yellowish brown, not as vivid as a Yellow Lab, with the bold horizontal markings of the male Johanni absent. The trouble is that sub dominant males can take on the female colouration so they are not the targets of the dominant males aggression, so it's not uncommon for people to buy what they think are a group of female Johanni only for one or two of them to turn out to be males & develop the male colouration.

There are places that you can order them online but as I don't order anything live online, I'm unable to make any recommendations as to where might be good to order from or if ordering fish online is a good practice. I like to see exactly what I'm getting before I buy it so I don't order very much stuff online at all & never order fish or plants online.

As for how to intoduce them all, is it possible for you to hook up the filter you intend to use to one of your other tanks for a few weeks? That will build a decent bacteria colony within the filter & allow you to stock the Mbuna tank much faster. An already colonized filter & some TSS & you might be able to introduce all of the fish at once. Otherwise your going to have to work out the temperament of each species & then stock them in order of aggression. Least aggressive fish first through to the most aggressive last. Introducing some dither fish the day before introducing the next species can be a handy tool. Fish like Platies & Swordtails that will make good targets of themselves make for good dither fish.

As for the live plants, best not to have them. Certain species like Anubius & Java Fern can survive but they will still have a hard time with the Mbuna as vegtable matter makes up an important part of thier diet. Lake Malawi is devoid of all plant life except for algae & Vallisneria (don't think there's any other plants) so plants are definitley not needed for the Mbuna to feel comfortable.

OP
blkdeath75

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sweet, thanks Nutter. If I add water from my 40 and top it off with tap it should help speed up the cycle(thinking at least 50% of the 40g). I can and will run the filter in the established tank for a bit since I haven't found a stand yet for the 55.I'm only guessing here, but I'm assuming the yellow labs would be the least aggressive so they will go first then Acei prob behind them, then rusty, and Johanni last as they seem to be the most aggressive(at least the one guy I have right now is a mean s.o.b. lol). I had a bad experience before with dither fish(3x giant danios) and my blue, but it may have been the smaller tank he is in waiting for a new home.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That would be the order that I would add the fish.

There's little point in adding any water from an established aquarium to a new tank. There is little or no beneficial bacteria present in the water itself. Just run the filter your going to use for 2-4weeks on your established tank. You can also use some of the media from your already established filter in the new filter to speed the process up even more. Adding rocks or other suitable decor from your established tank will also help get the new tank cycled quicker.

Dither fish are not supposed to survive, so if they get killed by the established fish while the new fish settle in, they have served thier purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom