No male mollies but I have new fry

jonsbunny

Reaction score
I have 4 female Dalmatian mollies and no other live bearers in the tank...I had a male but got rid of him about 2 1/2 months ago as he would not leave the females alone...On 12-06 I woke up and found 20 molly fry in the tank!! I was told that water temp could "convert" a female but I am not sure if this is right info...someone please help! We keep our water temp between 79 - 82 degrees. Thanks in advance!

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know the sex-conversion phenom occurs with Swordtails, not sure the same holds true for Mollies. Live-bearer females though, can continue to have fry from the same batch for months at a time, so no worries for you.. congrats on your fry.

jonsbunny

Reaction score
Thanks a lot - I was reading through some of the other posts that said livebearers could retain sperm for up to 6 months!! And here I was thinking I had "miracle fish" And behold a virgin shall conceive - ha ha. I am down to 19 fry now but I think thats pretty good - I'm pretty excited to be a "new mom" and having so many fry is really fun to watch.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know exactly how you feel. I was amazed with my platys. After the tank had cycled, I found 4 fry in the back. It was really amazing, I have two left, I sold the other two.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom