No maintenance tank

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m thinking of starting this hobby up again. But I hate maintenance and the sound of a filter. What if I put a dozen neons in a 10 gal with just a bunch of hornwort in a sunny window. Can I avoid a filter and water changes?

OP
zack 7

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How about 5 platies? I got the right hardness, pH and room temps for them

magentatooth

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if it could work, no experience of no maintenance tanks, but I'd also be quite surprised if it did. Is it just the noise you don't like about the filter? Or not wanting to clean it?

aWildGarbageCan

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
honestly this hobby is just wonderful, welcome back if you decide to get back into it!
From my experience with hornwort, that plant sheds like no tomorrow...And really grows like no tomorrow too! (you may need to trim it)
I don't believe the neons would work, but 5 platys will likely work fine- though you'll have to expect babies if you have a male with females so potentially have a backup plan if they grow to join your fish family!

I don't think a completely 100% maintenance-free tank will work (someone correct me if I'm wrong LOL), but VERY low maintenance ones can work really well depending on how the tank was set up - usually with lots of live plants and some careful planning with the right materials.
From what I've heard, direct sunlight can cause algae to grow aggressively so you'll probably want to keep it out of the window's way or for very limited amounts of time.
A filter will probably make everything a lot easier maintenance-wise getting rid of the gunk/keeping the water chemistry healthy/providing some water movement so it might be worth looking into a quiet filter of some sort (personally I adore sponge filters)... but going without a filter can technically work out well too though I can't speak from experience on that one hah! (youtuber Foo the Flowerhorn does a phenomenal job with filterless nanotanks for example and even made a video explaining this)
If you're just getting back into the hobby though, I'd definitely recommend filter + live plants since tackling a filterless tank might be a pretty big challenge with lots of obstacles to start with, but pretty darn cool when it works out!

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You would need a lot of plants from established tanks and have to do a lot of water changes for the first few weeks. I woldnt recommend it unless you are very experienced

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Filterless tanks are not "no maintenance" they are just different maintenance. The plant mass required to keep the water healthy will require a lot of maintenance. If it's just the sound of the filter making you want to do this, maybe try a canister filter or an in-tank filter like where there is no falling-water sound and no air pumps. I get it - buzzing humming splashing filters make me crazy also.
I also find the Whisper EX model filters to run very silently for a HOB as well and have large media areas. I honestly think they stopped making them though :/
If you truly want a zero maintenance aquarium, and I say this with all the understanding in my heart, buy one of there:
Fish are animals and all animals in our care need our care.

AllThingsPets

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Check out FooTheFlowerhorn on YouTube to see how to set up and maintain a filterless tank. They have some great vids!

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AllThingsPets said:
Check out FooTheFlowerhorn on YouTube to see how to set up and maintain a filterless tank. They have some great vids!
They still have lots of maintanance though. There is no, no maintainance tank

Bubble

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, a no maintenance tank isn't possible if you want to add vertebrates.

One thing that might be possible is a planted tank with no animals, or just small snails.
I've got a few pond snails living in a bowl with java moss, all that needs is refilling when the water evaporates. I've heard of people doing similar things with shrimp.
Something like a jararrium might work, but not with fish. Just small invertebrates.

If you're not willing to do maintenance keeping fish might not be the right hobby.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Bubble.

Also, putting it near the window is a desaster waiting to happen. Extreme temperature swings and a high likelyhood of a heavy algae bloom are among the problems that will occur.

Koenig44

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zack 7 said:
I’m thinking of starting this hobby up again. But I hate maintenance and the sound of a filter. What if I put a dozen neons in a 10 gal with just a bunch of hornwort in a sunny window. Can I avoid a filter and water changes?
Agree with others. To be honest, I don't think there's a pet out there that is maintenance free.

Smaller / nano tanks are going to be the highest maintenance there is. There's less wiggle room with water quality. Being the fish geek I am, I enjoy smaller tanks for this reason. I have to be more involved with them. I enjoy big tanks too, but that's neither here nor there.

Aqua Clear HOB filters are LITERALLY no noise. I love ACs....and it's a big reason why they're so popular. Not to mention, they're very efficient as well, and high quality.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Didn't see it mentioned but wonder if you are referring to a Walstad type tank- the inspiration for Foo the Flowerhorn, that was mentioned. Dustin's Fishtanks was also a big fan of "dirted" tanks, back in the day.

This type of tank is not maintenance free but as close as you are going to get.

Diana Walstad's extensive book details how to put an enclosed ecosystem like this together. What you save in maintenance down the line is frontloaded in the beginning: building of substrate, plant selection, heavy plant load and patience before adding any fish or invertebrates. If you enjoy science and understanding how everything works together in an aquarium, her book will probably blow your mind.

On a good day, Foo the Flowerhorn's videos are fantastic to watch and learn from. On a bad day, his videos will truly soothe your soul!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do not believe there is such thing as a no maintenance tank. Regardless of what method you use. I'd argue that most of the filterless tanks take MORE WORK than my 29g established community tank. (It also has a silent internal filter so no noise).

The fishkeeping hobby is caring for the fish so the thrive and you can watch their behaviors. If you're taking out the caring for the fish part and meeting their needs you're really just collecting fish like you would a baseball card collection.

I personally am one that wants to share this hobby with everyone. I love when people get back into the hobby but just make sure that you're really wanting to get back into the hobby. Hobbies often require some work :)

New Threads