No Heater Nursery Tank, okay?

newbietetra

hi

i read somewhere that people dont use heater in nursery tank setup. Cold water keeps disease at bay. i also read guppies can survive down to 15 deg Celsius.
i have a 3gallon nursery tank with a bunch of guppy babies--about 1 week-old.
i dont have a heater in it. We live in a temporate region, where all buildings dont have heat.

So We dont have room heater in the house at all. The weather has been warm so far, but the weather just beginning to turn colder. this week, the forecast lows of around 15 deg C at night and high of around 22 deg C during the day. So, inside the house the lowest temperatuee will probably be around 18 deg C.

Is it really okey for babies to go without a heater for extended periods (weeks)?

p.s.

15 deg C = 59 deg F
18 deg C = 64 deg F
22 deg C = 72 deg F

BigManAquatics

Myself, i would put one in, just so they can grow consistently, if nothing else. Plus, some of those lower swings may kill fry.

newbietetra

is it okay to use 100 watt heater into a 3 gallon tank?

the stores only have 100 watt and higher.

and i am not sure if the sucktion cups would stick well to the walls of the plastic tank (just a cheap plastic office storage bin).

BigManAquatics

Ouch. Well, it wouldn't have to work so hard. Don't have access to something smaller at all, like a 25 or 50 watt?

newbietetra

Ouch. Well, it wouldn't have to work so hard. Don't have access to something smaller at all, like a 25 or 50 watt?
The stores in the big city probably has some. but i live outside the city, and we dont have cars, we have to take the bus into the city. i dont like going unless i have to.

BigManAquatics

The stores in the big city probably has some. but i live outside the city, and we dont have cars, we have to take the bus into the city. i dont like going unless i have to.
Understandable. I mean, it's probably do-able. Make sure to have a thermometer in their though to monitor temp.

newbietetra

i bought a 50w heater. i set it to 26* C. A day later, in the morning, i found 10 dead baby guppies.

just a coincidence?

These one to two-week old guppy babies was doing fine under room temperature (between 20* to 23* C).

p.s. nitrite and nirate are both normal. i ran out of ammonia test solution, but i think it should be fine. i have this nursery tank going for almost three months. it has a sponge filter. Before the guppy babies, this tank raised a group of Platy babies just fine. The Platies are living healthly in the community tank now.

Could 3 degrees cause the deaths?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
Small Tanks
  • Biev
  • Molly
Replies
Views