No Heat!

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a Nano tank I bought for my daughter that lives in her room. Community tank with some shrimp, fish and snails. Had someone doing some work in there and the tank was unplugged and replugged. They forgot to plug the heater back in. Didn't realize it until almost 3 weeks later when I looked at the thermometer and it was down to 71 degrees.

So I plugged it back in...but it reminded me that these things are bullsh!t and most fish are fine at room temp.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Though I do agree that fish can survive in larger temperature fluctuations than we give them credit for, "fine" or "surviving" doesn't always mean thriving. What fish do you have in there? Most shrimp and snails are happy at lower temperatures.

OP
I

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
SM1199 said:
Though I do agree that fish can survive in larger temperature fluctuations than we give them credit for, "fine" or "surviving" doesn't always mean thriving. What fish do you have in there? Most shrimp and snails are happy at lower temperatures.
Rasboras.

I'd also argue you get more temp fluctuations with a submerged heater than you would with a tank in your livingroom without a heater.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Inner10 said:
Rasboras.

I'd also argue you get more temp fluctuations with a submerged heater than you would with a tank in your livingroom without a heater.
Unless like me you turn your central heat down at night. Sometimes my home gets down to mid to low sixties at night. The tank heaters hold my tanks at a steady 76 degrees.

I am glad having the heater unplugged worked out well for you but in my humble opinion it is better to try to keep a steady temp in our tanks. I know temps fluctuate in the wild but fish in the wild can go to different levels when the water temps get to uncomfortable levels. They don't have that option in a glass box so I choose to provide it for them.

fishkeeper19524

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fish will usually be letharic and eat less without a heater, the will survive, but they won't bee as happy and colorful as they could be

New Threads