No-fuss Goldfish Care Question

1. squishface

squishface New Member Member

So I’ve recently caught the goldie bug and have been fantasizing for weeks about setting up a tank. It would be my biggest and most integrated with the household living space and contain, of course, goldfish.

Being something of a realist, I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. I already have three small tanks, not to mention two small children, a husband and a job.

So I thought I’d tap the wisdom of the community for ideas about keeping goldfish without spending 20 hours a week caring for them. (Oh, and in an apartment to boot!)

Here’s what I’m thinking so far...

- 2 fancy gf; maybe ranchu bc they don’t get so huge and are amazing
    - 40 gal breeder on top of a buffet/ sideboard in living or dining room
    - no substrate; maybe a planted centerpiece
    - canister filter tbd
    - weekly water changes with a python hose thingy
    - no CO2 or ferts; basic led lighting

Does that sound workable? Is there anything I can do to ensure a great quality of life for the fish and also minimize the hard labor part for me? Appreciate any thoughts from experienced goldfish keepers!

2. C

ChaosCorrupter Valued Member Member

Sounds perfect! Try to point or aim the output of the canister towards the bottom so the poop gets into the water column so your intake can suck it up. Less work for you.

3. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

It will work but from about a year of keeping goldfish I have found that they are not like bettas. They enjoy physical stimulation like friends (you will provide), ornaments/ hiding spots and plants (salad bar for them- they'll either destroy-em or live in 'em).

4. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Sounds good. I have a 55 gallon full of fantails. I will say they do really love live plants. Mine are just buttheads and rip them out of the gravel. Apparently my fishies like their plants to float.