Help No food

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So for reasons I explained on another thread, I had to replace my filter completely. I have a sponge filter in there but it has only been in a week or two. Since I’m effectively cycling my tank with full stock, I thought I could reduce ammonia by not feeding the fish for awhile. Is this a good idea? How long could fish go without food?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unless you have fry or tiny nano species that need to eat often, don’t feed the tank at all. Most fish can go a couple weeks w/o food, likely longer.

Just use prime, do water changes as needed and don’t feed much/often.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a big brain moment and realized I could rinse rinse rinse as much as needed in PRIME water, so I wouldn’t lose my bacteria (I hope?) either way, the new filter and the old are now in my filter and the water is running clear, so hopefully I just lost a small % of bb and it’ll build up fast on both filters.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BIG BRAIN

Yes rinsing media is always better than tossing it all and restarting the cycle. I always rinse in old tank water and only replace a little media at a time.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
BIG BRAIN

Yes rinsing media is always better than tossing it all and restarting the cycle. I always rinse in old tank water and only replace a little media at a time.
Yeah, it had been filled with zeolite crystal dust that kept dumping into my tank and when I rinsed it in my tank water it was still dumping dust so I thought it was a goner, but then I got smarter than my filter. LOL

New Threads