No filter; betta's fins healing?!

1. a

amdpayne Valued Member Member

My betta seemed to get shredded tail fins after I'd do a water change. They'd start healing until I did a wc again, then they'd re-tear. Recently my water filter stopped working, but his fins have healed immenseley!! I know he needs a filter (he's in a 10 gal with 2 live leafy plants and a moss ball), but I don't want his fins to tear again, and it seems it might be correlated with his filter..? I'll check his water parameters tonight, then do a wc and check tomorrow, then see how his fins look. I just don't want any of his progress to come undone! :/ Any thoughts on the filter? He needs one, right? Could it be causing the problem? It was set on low, and it's the correct size for his tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Was the filter cutting up his tail? Is there an intake that his tail can get sucked into?

He needs a filter. You can put a piece of filter material over the intake to keep him from getting sucked in.

3. OP
    OP
    a

I've never seen him go near it! I don't think that was the problem, per se, but I don't know what is.

4. codyrex97

Any rough or pointy decorations?

5. OP
    OP
    a

Nope! :/ Silk plants, some smooth rocks, nothing sharp or pointy. It's only been happening the past 8 months or so (out of nearly 2 years). I think it could be stress from the cat or his water, somehow. I'll test the water tonight and then do a change and test again. Just to see. And I'll watch his fins to see if they change before or after the water change.

6. codyrex97

The possibilities is see are the filter shredding his fins up, or him tearing up his own fins by biting them (something I've heard of before) I would hope it's the filter, as that is more easily remedied than the self-biting.

7. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

My guess is that the filter, coupled with the rush of the new water, was blowing him around and tearing his fins. I would order a sponge filter off of eBay, they have practically no flow, perfect for bettas.

8. OP
    OP
    a

Any recommendation for a certain brand or specific one?

The weird part was that I never saw him near the filter, and the flow was verrry calm/slow. :/

I'll order a new filter, though , and see if that helps!

I've heard of that too. Never seen him bite them, so hopefully it's the filter!

9. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

10. P

Paincoast89 Valued Member Member

When you do water changes, how much do you replace and how many times do you change it?

11. OP
    OP
    a

About 50% once a week, but lately since every time I do a change his fins get worse, I've done them less often .

Thanks! I'll have a look

12. P

Do a 25% water change instead of 50 because that's probably causing the fish to go under stress and he's probably nipping his own fins

13. OP
    OP
    a

He only just began this behavior like 10 months ago, if it's a behavior. I've always done 50% water changes. :/

14. P

well then I don't know but I would advise to change 20-25% of the water and sorry that I haven't been responding I was on vacation