No Clue Why My Goldfish Was Dead.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Stealyouaway269, Apr 18, 2018.

1. S

Stealyouaway269 Valued Member Member

I order an goldfish from another state. Its one day shipping. I got the fish and it is really weak. I dont want it died in the bag so I realeased it to my tank right away.One hour later I bought salt aquarium and water conditioner and added them to the tank.Just pour them to the tank. Then th fish got shock and dead in 10 minutes.even I put it above oxygen pump. I dont know why maybe too much auqarium salt that shock the fish so hard?

2. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

You adding the fish right away and not tempature acclimating or matching the water parementers is most likely what killed it. Also did you pour the whole thing of aquarium salt and conditioner?

3. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Aquarium salt needs to be heavily moderated and should only be used in certain cases. Your fish probably passed away from shock as it was shipped, then not acclimated at all, then put in (likely) chlorinated water, then had a lot of aquarium salt put in the tank.

4. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

Yikes man. No matter how weak the fish looks, always acclimate him. The shock from temos and ph will kill it very quickly. Also, most wouldn't recommend adding salt unless you really need it, like maybe ich or something. Did you cycle the tank? Did you dechlorinate the water before adding the fish? Always pretreat water before adding it to the tank. And measure how much you add. You can overdose on the dechlorinator.

5. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

FiFh tend to be stressed and weak after shipping. So if you change many things again it adds to the stress.
    The death of your fish is primarily due to
    #1: Directly adding fish to the tank.
    It is important to be patient in such cases. Always temperature acclimate the fish. Then only add them to the tank. Normally i would also suggest drip acclimation, but your fish was in the bag for a day which changes the water chemistry in unique way. The qty of ammonia soars high in such bags in a day. But it is too less toxic due to low oxygen levels. Once you open the bag and the air exchange occurs the increased oxygen levels will make ammonia highly toxic instantly and you fish will die in the bag.
    #2: pouring all conditioner and aquariun salt at once. Never do this. Always add as it is recommended or written on the product. This sudden change can easily shock the fish. Also with high levels of salt the freshwater fish finds it hard to adjust itself. Even the saltwater fish will go into shock if it is faced with sudden changes in salinity of water. When adding salt add it in small quantity by mixing it in water and adding this water slowly over a period of couole of hours.
    #3:what did you mean by putting it above oxygen pump? If you are stating that you kept the fish just above the airstone then the bubbles will irritate it more and add more stress. If i am wrong in guessing what you meant, please correct me and let me know what it was actually.
    Thankyou.
    I hope some of this info was helpful to you. And take precaution next time man. Happy fishkeeping.

6. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I just tempt acclimate. I don’t bother with drip method.

Goldfish are pretty hardy. I’m more inclined to think it had to do with the salt. Question is how much and why?

7. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Yea...why did you add salt to a freshwater fish aquarium??? Never add it unless it is a swt.

8. FriarThomasIII

Sometime salt is used to help treat ich, improve gill function, and improve health. You only add very little into the tank.

9. GrayGray4231

I know, I was saying that because there was no sickness to the fish.

10. FriarThomasIII

You had said "unless it is a swt" swt meaning saltwater tank. Not talking about sickness, right? lol

11. GrayGray4231

Yea, saltwater tank. Lol...!

12. FriarThomasIII

But then you replied saying "I know, I was saying that because there was no sickness to the fish."

13. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Guys now is not the time to fight :p

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Let’s not derail this thread bickering with each other, & let’s give the Op the chance to respond before making any more assumptions.

15. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Precisely :D

16. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I think this has all been covered, but also if the salt was just added to the tank, as salt, and wasn't dissolved, it could have burned the fish

17. GrayGray4231

Wait, did you use table salt or aquarium salt??

18. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

OP did say aquarium salt 2x...

19. GrayGray4231

Oh, my bad....

20. FriarThomasIII

Also what size is this tank? Just asking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice