No Clear Water With Essential Reagents And Abosrbents. 65 Gallon Tank

1. D

DIGINEX New Member Member

Hi all

I'm pleased to be a parr of this wonderful community of fish enthusiasts. Adter a long gap of surprising journey, I'm back in the saddle of fish keeping and kicking back all the instincts of aquariums, planted tanks and moreover the sheer collection of avid fish keepers and tank makers.

Decided to start along with a goldfish only tank, though exotic goldfishes are still an alien thing to most of the aquarium people here.
    Here's the spec's.
    (3x1.5x2 ft) 65 gallons.

Conditioners and binders:
    Seachem Prime
    Seachem Stability

Canister Filter : SunSun 302b
    Bioballs with no sponge
    Ceramic Rings
    Matrix media 250ml (will order other 500ml anyway)
    Seachem Purigen
    in top chamber.
    Seperate coarse filter and poly floss are on the way too.

Tap water used, though parameters are not identified. Water test kit might be here soon.

The water looks like this cloudy green since the day I added water to tank. The substrate is new and gave a good rinse till a major amounts of soot and dust got washed away.

Day two have passed, it still looks the same. Earlier i set up the tank and water turned out super clear, without Purigen. I placed Purigen knowing cycle would be slow but to see a clear tank working out quickly.

Its heavy showers and downpours all the time showing early signs of monsoon kidkink in. But I dont think that's a reason why tap water is staying this green. Please help me establish a clear tank and introduce my Goldies.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Do you have a light for the tank. Cant really see what you are talking about without light. It may just look this way because it's dark. If you do have a light could you post a picture of the tank with the light on?

3. OP
    OP
    D

I'm sorry if that didn't clarified my post. Phkto atached with tank in light. Today's day three, water is still this cloudy in light(looks with green tint on no light). Dosing with Prime one day other and stability two caps fukk until seven days. Purigen on top chamber that may result on slow cycling, dont think it'll completely affect cycling.

Proceeding with a water change anyway which I didn't want for cycling until the stability dose is complete.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    D

It's stil the same. Assuming it'd be the tap water present condition to blame. Or something wrong with the substrate?

5. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

I think I would run a carbon filter on this tank until the water cleared up. Then I would take the carbon out, put in a regular filter pad, add some ammonia and start the cycling.

6. OP
    OP
    D

Maybe that's the reason why I had clear water on day two. Previously both lower tiers of my canister were filled with enough activated carbon, I saw videos saying it'd hinder the growth of essential bacteria and nitrous wastes.

Hoping there won't be any harm adding Purigen on top chamber. Gonna try this and will update the progress here.

Thanks for helping out =)

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Carbon and Purigen do the same exact thing. Purigen is much more effective on clarity and filtration in general. It should be noted that you have green algae, which carbon and Purigen will not remove. Neither of these will effect your cycle adversely. Your water isn't coming out green if you put it in a drinking glass, is it? Leave your light off until you add fish, and limit it to only 6 hours a day. How long do you leave the lights on each day? Is this tank near a window? Have you added any source of ammonia yet?

8. OP
    OP
    D

I've checked the water placed nearby on tall glass jar. The water looks fine and nothing to blame for murky appearance. The tank is placed where no windows or either any void space harnessing any peck of daylight. Some ambient lighting maybe present but that's not enough making an algae growth (that too on the same day water poured on).

I never put on light so far now. Afraid it would cause an algae bloom.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, but with the light off all the time you may get a diatom (brown algae) bloom. But even with the light on you may get one, but diatoms thrive with less light. They are very common in new tanks. They are ugly, but they are harmless and will go away on their own eventually.

10. OP
    OP
    D

There I found this yucky brown algae before I setting up current tank. Initally I thought this kind of some white slime growing, later turned out dark brown.