No Bleeding Heart Posts?

_Fried_Bettas_

I was considering these fish and am surprised that there are so few posts. Does that mean that no one on here keeps these fish, or no one has any problems worth posting about?

Aquarist

Hello LetDiceFly,

I haven't seen too many posts on the Bleeding Hearts. Let's see what responses you receive today.
Ken

harpua2002

If stocked appropriately, you shouldn't have any problems with them. By "appropriately" I'm referring to adequate tank size (30 gallons minimum IMO) and adequate numbers in the school (6 or more is usually good). BHs are one of the larger, full bodied species of tetras, and can be a little on the nippy side. They are boisterous and behave somewhat like tiger barbs IME. BHs shouldn't be kept with long finned fish like angels, or with shy fish that might be bullied.

marina3

I am new in this forum, hence no posts about my BH. I got 3 and 2 died a couple of days later. So I was left with only one until I introduced 3 neon Tetras (after checking the water levels- don't know why the 2 BH died!). I have had my 3 neons and the 1 BH for 2 days and the poor Neons have been harrased to no end by the surviving BH!!! I may have to return the 3 neons and add moe BH or add more BH and see what happens. The neon's cannot come up to surface to eat, the BH darts to the top or go after the neons trying to "nip" them!!!! What do you recommend???

harpua2002

marina3 said:
I am new in this forum, hence no posts about my BH. I got 3 and 2 died a couple of days later. So I was left with only one until I introduced 3 neon Tetras (after checking the water levels- don't know why the 2 BH died!). I have had my 3 neons and the 1 BH for 2 days and the poor Neons have been harrased to no end by the surviving BH!!! I may have to return the 3 neons and add moe BH or add more BH and see what happens. The neon's cannot come up to surface to eat, the BH darts to the top or go after the neons trying to "nip" them!!!! What do you recommend???
Welcome to FL!
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your fish. I would suggest returning either the bleeding heart or the neons. I don't think that adding to the group of bh's would help at all with aggression. IMO neons are too timid to be kept with bh's.

_Fried_Bettas_

So I suppose that Bleeding Hearts are much like the Serpae Tetra that I have. They are quite aggressive. I have them with a Pearl GouramI and I think he is intimidated. Luckily he will move over to my other tank when it cycles and I will probably put a Kribensis with the Serpae and he should not be intimidated. I guess I probably won't get any Bleeding Hearts for my larger tank.

marina3

harpua2002,

Following my "specialty" LFS ( not the chain LFS) advise, I rearranges the tank (moved the decor around) and added 2 more BH and more greenery on top of the water (these 2 species are from the Amazone and don't like too much light?) then I sat and wait. It was amazing to see how the Neons started moving more toward the front of the tank where the BH dictator had taken "possesion" of it before...The BH stays now with the other 2 and the Neons got to eat a little (poor things!!) Now, I am curiious to see what happens in the next couple of days...since I bot the neons at petsmart, I have 14 days to return them if I have to...Will see, but is so interesting to observe and learn...I didn't return the BH because that one (well I had bot 3, 2 died) was purchased at the "specialty" LFS and they don't take fish back... I will update of the progress... Thanks!!!

djbrist

I have had 4 in my 30 gallon long, they are now about 1.5" tall x 2+"long after 1.5 years with me (they were 1" long when I brought them home). They definitely love other BH's, but do get fiesty when they are ready to breed. Their colors enhance, fins turn bright red at the edges, become more active, very fun to watch.

I would say they are timid, and hide if I get too close, but that would be compared to the pristellas and cochu blues.

My BH's are just great though, eat ferociously at feeding time and like structure to hang around.

IMO, they offer a very nice pink/red to the livestock of my community.

There, another post...
Dave

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom