No Better At Aquarium Plants Than Plants On Land Question

1. Krysty

Krysty Well Known Member Member

Well, I am hitting a snag with my venture into more live plants. I have managed to kill all but one Anubias coffeefolia. (I also have 2 Marimo Moss balls that I have had forever and they are still going strong), but I effectively killed 4 Bucephalandra and a Bacopa Caroliniana. I am about to order Seachem Flourish Iron and Fresh Trace to start adding to my water change routine to see if i can save the Anubias. It seems to have a strong root system still and has two large leaves, although one appears to be browning around the edges. Anyway, if anyone has any additional helpful hints, i'm open to all ideas. If I can keep this little guy around I will try more plants in the future.

This is my 20 gallon tank which has 1 Bloodfin Tetra, 1 random rescue fish, 2 Cherry Barbs. I'm planning to restock with more Cherry Barbs once I get some good plant growth.

2. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I would say you don't have enough livestock to provide the nitrates that plants need. I would add more fish before trying new plants, not after.

3. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

What lights do you have? Have you used any other ferts previously? Also, have you completely buried the rizome of the anubias ‘cause that’ll kill it too.

I’m not great at plants myself but I’ll try to help

4. OP
    OP
    Krysty

Interesting, i hadn't thought of that.

5. OP
    OP
    Krysty

Thanks, I have the standard LED set up that comes with a Marineland cover. I have not used any other ferts as I was hoping to these would be low maintenance, but looking further, it appears they will benefit from some. As for burying the rizome, no, I actually just tied the plant to a rock as was suggested in its profile.

6. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

Most standard kit lights are not rated for plant growth. Therefore it is highly likely that the plants are not getting the light they need.

7. OP
    OP
    Krysty

That's why I picked plants that tolerate low light. I don't care if they don't grow, or grow very slow, as long as they stay green and don't die.

8. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

You may want to consider crypts. I have the worst luck with indoor and aquarium plants (I kill java moss and java fern) but my crypts have been hanging in there for years and slowly reproducing!

9. OP
    OP
    Krysty

Thanks! I will add it to my list of plants to try.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

That may be true but my 3.5 gallon has a 3 LED light bar that clips into the underside of the hood. The lights can cycle through all the colors or stay bright white. All it says on the bar is "2247 0.85W". My plants are thriving with no supplements added. I have an Anubias Nana, a Java Fern Windelov, and a moss ball. I didn't put any of them in until Nitrates started showing in my test results. For livestock there has been my Betta, a pretty big Mystery Snail, and a Nerite snail. I'm starting to see a little brown algae on the front of the filter box but that's it. I would say the OP's problem here is a lack of nutrients more than light.

11. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

LOL I love the title of this thread, because I can relate 100%. I kill everything I touch when it comes to gardening (even grass won't grow in my abandoned vegetable garden beds--my brown thumb is that strong).

So, I'll tell you what I've managed to keep alive under water. I have an extremely low tech setup. Very low light, no CO2, no ferts in the water column. I use Osmocote tabs near plants that are rooted in the sand, and that's my only fertilizer. Plants that grow well for me:
    - Java ferns of all varieties
    - Anubias, as long as I have algae eaters to keep the brown algae off their leaves (nerite snails are the best)
    - Crypts: wendtii, balansae, retrospiralis, lutea
    - java moss
    - sußwassertang

I definitely recommend trying crypts. They can be discouraging at first because they notoriously 'melt' when planted, and you think you killed them. But just ignore them and wait, and they suddenly explode back out of the substrate with new growth in a couple of weeks. Give them a fertilizer tab near their roots and they'll be happy little low maintenance greenery for you.